Sign in with
Your question

Format on Win7 Install

Last response: in Systems
January 22, 2010 7:03:21 PM

Hi,

I just installed Windows 7 on a new build and didn't format my hard drive (Intel x25 ssd). I am worried that this isn't optimum. What would you guys do?

More about : format win7 install

January 22, 2010 7:12:16 PM

was the ssd new out of the box when you installed windows on it? If so, you're fine.
January 22, 2010 7:56:45 PM

If you didn't format, Windows 7 automatically does a quick format for you. Run the Intel SSD toolbox to optimize it. It's free for download on their website. The new firmware is there too, get it to allow TRIM to be used.
Related resources
January 25, 2010 4:33:06 PM

Thanks for your replys

Oh good. I was hoping it would do a quick format. Would it have been even slightly better to format it at the install though?

Also, I have a non-boot Samsung F3 500gb drive for my media (out the box). I didn't do the format. Whats the best step to format this? (I have done nothing with it so far)
January 25, 2010 5:06:18 PM

you don't need to format it if it's new.
January 25, 2010 5:09:43 PM

eddablin said:
Thanks for your replys

Oh good. I was hoping it would do a quick format. Would it have been even slightly better to format it at the install though?

Also, I have a non-boot Samsung F3 500gb drive for my media (out the box). I didn't do the format. Whats the best step to format this? (I have done nothing with it so far)

1. Make sure computer is off
2. Install the drive
3. Windows will see the drive and install drivers
4. Reboot
5. Look at this tuturial http://www.top-windows-tutorials.com/format-hard-drive....
January 25, 2010 5:15:29 PM

foolycooly said:
you don't need to format it if it's new.

Some drives come already formatted in NTFS, but it's a good idea to do a full format.
That way it checks for bad sectors too. A quick format doesn't check for anything besides if the
the drive works or not. Only a noob would not format a drive. Us datacenter guys know the
importance of formatting a hard drive before using it.
January 25, 2010 8:47:47 PM

masterasia said:
Some drives come already formatted in NTFS, but it's a good idea to do a full format.
That way it checks for bad sectors too. A quick format doesn't check for anything besides if the
the drive works or not. Only a noob would not format a drive. Us datacenter guys know the
importance of formatting a hard drive before using it.

Thanks for the fast responses.

I think I will format the HDD as you suggested Masterasia. Would you reformat the ssd though?
January 26, 2010 1:39:53 AM

SSDs are a different story. Quick format for SSD to reduce wear and tear.
!