Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Update: I Decided to get a new processor, now there is another issue.

Last response: in Storage
January 18, 2012 6:53:51 AM

Hello,

before I wanted to build a computer using a previous generation processor Phenom X3 8400. I decided to bite the bullet and buy a Phenom II X4 840. Now I have completed the build and have a new issue. I transfered the old HDD and Optical drives from my old computer. When I tried to reinstall Windows Vista, I was already having some issues getting the new motherboard and the old HDD to work together. Do I have to purchase new Windows software??
January 18, 2012 7:10:12 AM

Its not clear what is going on. Are you having trouble installing Windows Vista? Or is your motherboard unable to detect your HDD?
Score
January 18, 2012 7:23:41 AM

Have you changed your motherboard? I'm guessing the version if Vista on your HDD was OEM, which is tied to the motherboard it was activated on. If so, yes. You will have to buy a new copy of Windows.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

January 18, 2012 7:59:51 AM

what is the exact nature of your problems?
looks like you might have to re-activate your windows copy. you should contact microsoft support and ask them.
January 20, 2012 3:51:47 AM

Best answer selected by wildstar43.
Score
January 20, 2012 4:04:55 AM

leenoshiro said:
Its not clear what is going on. Are you having trouble installing Windows Vista? Or is your motherboard unable to detect your HDD?

I'm having trouble with Vista after it had loaded up. A couple of hours later, Windows shut down with a violation message. So I reinstalled it again and I am going to check with Microsoft. I do not know if it is reconizing the new motherboard. I do know that it is OEM.
Score
!