Pci-e 1.0 v 2.0

ucdbny

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
wondering whats the difference between 1.0 and 2.0, i have a mobo that only supports 1.0 and wondering will there be any drawbacks on sticking a 2.0 card into a 1.0 slot, or if thats even compatible thanks

Solution
Jack's actually wrong :pfff: , cards are NOT backwards compatible with base PCIe 1.0/1.0a , they are compatible with 1.0b (rare) and 1.1. This can easily be confirmed at PCI-SIG if you take the time.

There are very few graphics slots that only support the base in recent years since the announcement of 2.0 in 2007, but when the mobos are lane restricted they often do it like intel, MSI and ASUS boards, and then you end up with issues as described in ASUS' FAQ;

http://support.asus.com/faq/asus-faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&no=DE05A01F-3A3B-A859-177B-6A668A2D6982

Most mobos that are listed as 1.0 in the past 2 years are likely 1.1 just generically listed as 1.0, but it's worth knowing for sure.

Double check the mobo mfr's site to be sure...
Jack's actually wrong :pfff: , cards are NOT backwards compatible with base PCIe 1.0/1.0a , they are compatible with 1.0b (rare) and 1.1. This can easily be confirmed at PCI-SIG if you take the time.

There are very few graphics slots that only support the base in recent years since the announcement of 2.0 in 2007, but when the mobos are lane restricted they often do it like intel, MSI and ASUS boards, and then you end up with issues as described in ASUS' FAQ;

http://support.asus.com/faq/asus-faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&no=DE05A01F-3A3B-A859-177B-6A668A2D6982

Most mobos that are listed as 1.0 in the past 2 years are likely 1.1 just generically listed as 1.0, but it's worth knowing for sure.

Double check the mobo mfr's site to be sure, or else make sure you have a good return policy on the card if you want to chance it.

The old announcement;

PCI-SIG announced the availability of the PCI Express Base 2.0 specification on 15 January 2007.[2] PCIe 2.0 doubles the bus standard's bandwidth from 2.5 Gbit/s to 5 Gbit/s, meaning a x32 connector can transfer data at up to 16 GB/s in each direction. PCIe 2.0 is still compatible with PCIe 1.1, so older cards will still be able to work in machines with this new version.

Solution
Argh, MSI, I would've felt better with someone else.
And it's the intel [strike]G3x series[/strike] (sorry the G3x series is the 1.1 starting point my mistake it's the older 9xx series) that are issues, there is a list somewhere of the good and bad ones, I'll see if I can find it.

If you look on the Overview they're a little more specific about the slot;
• 1 x PCI Express x16 slot (PCI Express Bus SPEC V1.0a compliant)