Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AT5IONT-I Wont start

Last response: in Motherboards
August 20, 2010 10:16:19 PM

Hi all :-)

I recently bought the above motherboard. I installed it in my HTPC, and tried to turn on the system. it turns on and everything, cause the harddrive is brumming. and the led on the motherboard is indicating that it is on, although the led's on my HTPC Case dont light.

Is it a problem with the graphic card? I have tried both outputs. HDMI and DVI. I just cant get anything on the screen??

Regards Simon from Denmark

More about : at5iont wont start

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 103 V Motherboard
August 20, 2010 10:55:29 PM

Welcome Newcomer.

Did you remember to plug in the CPU power (4/8 pin) from the power supply?

In any case, check out the troubleshooting guide. It is designed to help people with no boot/no display problems. Just follow the link in my signature.

Good luck
August 20, 2010 11:09:41 PM

There is not that kind of stick on the motherboard. I just refuse to believe that the motherboard is damaged. There is only 24 pin ATX power connector. I dont know why I dont get anything on the screen?
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 103 V Motherboard
August 20, 2010 11:44:33 PM

post your system specs
August 21, 2010 6:25:33 AM

ASUS AT5IONT-I, Intel®Atom D525 - http://www.asus.dk/product.aspx?P_ID=iIZKMXSj0jZKiebE&t...

Samsung 3.5" 1,5TB 'EcoGreen F2' SATA-300 32MB - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Spinpoint-EcoGreen-3-5-...

Corsair Value DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333MHz 2GB - http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CM3X2GSD1066-PC3-8500-106...

Samsung SN-S083C/BEBE Slim Intern SATA 22xW/8xRW/4 - http://www.proshop.dk/showproduct.aspx?prodid=215255

Ace Sonay case - http://www.aceofsweden.com/ace-q/case/sonay.html

August 21, 2010 6:27:20 AM

sorry ment CM3X2GSD1066 2GB SODIMM DDR3 instead of Corsair Value DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333MHz 2GB
August 21, 2010 8:28:07 AM

any one got a clue whats wrong?? :-)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2010 6:27:08 PM

Quote:
ASUS AT5IONT-I does not support 2GB SODIMM.

Fneufneu > According to ASUS technical support that is not quite the reason. Just the fact that a single 2GB SODIMM is on their compatibility list means that your statement is incorrect.

I bought a Kingston HyperX KHX1066C5S3K2/4G matched pair (2x2GB) and they have the same problem. In my case the cause of the problem is according to ASUS not a 2GB limit, but is supposed to be a default CAS Latency of only 5 that the board does not support.

Supposedly the board would support the HyperX if I boot using another supported memory module, enter bios and lock CAS latency to 6 or higher and then replace memory with the HyperX pair. This is in theory of course and I have no way of testing.

I have just ordered Crucial's CT2KIT25664BC1067 4GB kit (2x2GB). Hope they will work :D 
September 3, 2010 3:42:41 PM

Did it work? I have the same problem.
September 3, 2010 5:15:30 PM

looking forward to the response. Im also building a system with that mainboard.

September 20, 2010 11:35:52 PM

Several things will cause your MB to not come up, the most common one I see is a missing 4 pin power supply connector but ASUS isn't as bad as Intel at leaving that part on the board when it is completely unnecessary for a board that only draws 18 Watts dripping wet (just a figure of speech, please do not wet your MB's), since this board supports both DDR2 and DDR3, I'd borrow the memory out of someones laptop to check for boot with only one slot populated, Memory is the #2 cause of startup failures... #3 make sure that the CMOS clear jumper isn't in the "RESET" position (I build computers for a living and I actually got an Intel board last week that had the CMOS jumper in the wrong position), you can find this in your motherboard manual... if all that fails then try checking the power switch for normally open/momentary closed operation. And if all else fails, try a different power supply (some older power supplies, particularily ones built between 2000 and 2005 had a minor capacitor glitch which caused some of the larger electrolytic capacitors to fail due to someone building them by the wrong (incomplete)formula , I have seen several power supplys that were shelved from that era simply fail when they were re-powered)
and lastly, there is potential for damage when the board has the heatpipe assembly mounted, I have actually cacked a tiny corner off of the silicone part of the processor chip (on a D945GCLF2, which, while it didn't immediately kill the board, it quickly overheats and kills itself within 5 minutes. (I have modified hundreds of boards with heatpipe assemblies, and this has only happened once to me, I much prefer the sealed packaging of the core 2 series processors, but Intels efforts to produce a low cost processor prohibits this type of packaging on the Atoms)
October 8, 2010 10:34:59 PM

scogar said:
Several things will cause your MB to not come up, the most common one I see is a missing 4 pin power supply connector but ASUS isn't as bad as Intel at leaving that part on the board when it is completely unnecessary for a board that only draws 18 Watts dripping wet (just a figure of speech, please do not wet your MB's), since this board supports both DDR2 and DDR3, I'd borrow the memory out of someones laptop to check for boot with only one slot populated, Memory is the #2 cause of startup failures... #3 make sure that the CMOS clear jumper isn't in the "RESET" position (I build computers for a living and I actually got an Intel board last week that had the CMOS jumper in the wrong position), you can find this in your motherboard manual... if all that fails then try checking the power switch for normally open/momentary closed operation. And if all else fails, try a different power supply (some older power supplies, particularily ones built between 2000 and 2005 had a minor capacitor glitch which caused some of the larger electrolytic capacitors to fail due to someone building them by the wrong (incomplete)formula , I have seen several power supplys that were shelved from that era simply fail when they were re-powered)
and lastly, there is potential for damage when the board has the heatpipe assembly mounted, I have actually cacked a tiny corner off of the silicone part of the processor chip (on a D945GCLF2, which, while it didn't immediately kill the board, it quickly overheats and kills itself within 5 minutes. (I have modified hundreds of boards with heatpipe assemblies, and this has only happened once to me, I much prefer the sealed packaging of the core 2 series processors, but Intels efforts to produce a low cost processor prohibits this type of packaging on the Atoms)

Where is it specified that the ASUS AT5IONT-I can use DDR2 memory ?
i realy like to know if i can boot up whit a DDR2 memory module and then give it a new bios so i can use the DDR3 memory i bought for the it in the first place
October 14, 2010 12:08:12 PM

Like everybody else I have had what seems to be a DOA AT5IONT-I despite buying ram from the recommended QVL. Yes, there are no beeps when any RAM (1 or 2 sticks) is plugged in :fou: 

Relevant details of setup:

AT5IONT-I
2 x 2GB Kingston KVR1066D3S7/2G

My solution, I know this is not available to everyone, was to update the BIOS by removing, reprogramming and re-installing the socketed BIOS FLASH chip. I used version BIOS 0316 from the ASUS website and for info as supplied it was probably 0312 although I can’t be 100% sure. The FLASH is in an 8-pin Dual-inline Package near the CMOS clear jumpers (rear-right when viewed from the back-plate). I have a stand alone programmer for my embedded designs that can program the Winbond W25Q80BV chip that is used for the BIOS FLASH. I decided to try to update the BIOS chip rather than send the board back as a DOA only to have the same problem with the next board.

I've now had my favourite Memory tester (MemoryTest86+) running for more than three passes without an error (that's more than 6 hours of testing for the 4GB total RAM). My next step is to try WIN7!!

The good news is that, for me, the 2GB Kingston KVR1066D3S7/2G works with BIOS 0316. The bad news is ‘Can I trust ASUS products?’ ‘Will the board continue to work at all temperatures and power-supply fluctuations that it will see during the normal life of a Motherboard?’ :pt1cable: 

Big thanks to the forum contributors on this and other forums that gave me the confidence to suspect the BIOS version as the problem. :sol: 
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2010 2:56:01 PM

Quote:
removing, reprogramming and re-installing the socketed BIOS FLASH chip

Blergh. Okay. Anybody else been able to get the board running, using methods that are available to the average Joe (me)?

Gr,

Gr.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 29, 2010 1:43:10 PM

I have the 2x4GB GEIL DIMMs, and unsurprisingly, the config doesn't work out of the box. Blue light, CPU fan, HDD and ODD spinup, the CPU heats up nicely after a few minutes, so that's powered fine, but no signal to the screen hooked up through DVI.

I've also tried
ADATA DDR3 1333 - SU3S1333B2G9
Corsair DDR3 1066 - CM3X2GSD1066

But not a flicker. I am now waiting for two KVR1066D3S7/1G modules, since that setup seems to work most of the times, according to what I've read on various message boards.

I would have preferred ASUS being more clear about the fact that the QVL is BIOS release specific, and that most modules listed in it don't work in a standard out-of-the-box setup. All this messing with different types of memory modules to get this system working is really not amusing.
November 1, 2010 12:16:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
removing, reprogramming and re-installing the socketed BIOS FLASH chip

Blergh. Okay. Anybody else been able to get the board running, using methods that are available to the average Joe (me)?

Gr,

Gr.

Hi!

Had the same issue , couple of days ago.
Setup:
1 x Asus AT5IONT-I motherboard
2 x Kingston 2GB 1066MHz DDR3 Non-ECC SODIMM (KVR1066D3S7/2G )

Did not boot, no picture, no power in keyboard (ps).

I sent it back to where I bougth it for repair.
I just got a mail from repairs with description:

Bios reprogrammed and tested using Kingston 1666Mhz 1GB.

Now I'm quite confident that the original setup will work. Will test it later today. So perhaps that is one possible way to solve the problem.

-KeN-

November 2, 2010 4:58:12 AM

Yeah, tested it yesterday, worked fine with all 4GB of original setup.

-KeN-
November 21, 2010 3:53:56 PM

To all AT5IONT-I owners.

I intend to purchase one of these boards too. I hesitate with an AT3IONT-I, though.

Reading the messages here, it seems you can't update the BIOS using a standard Flash procedure?
Isn't it possible to update the BIOS of the AT5IONT-I using the provided software?

As stated in TrickyD's reply:
"My solution, I know this is not available to everyone, was to update the BIOS by removing, reprogramming and re-installing the socketed BIOS FLASH chip. I used version BIOS 0316 from the ASUS website and for info as supplied it was probably 0312"

If this is true this is scary!

Regards,
-MB
November 21, 2010 4:12:09 PM

Please disregard my question.
I think I get it: because you were unable to actually boot the board, you had to find another way to update the BIOS.

Feeling a little tired tonight :( 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 21, 2010 10:20:16 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!