8 gigs of ram

Last response: in Motherboards
August 20, 2010 11:46:03 PM

can i go to 8gigs of ram on dell 390 and not up grade xp pro 64 bit

More about : gigs ram

August 21, 2010 2:54:49 PM

harold stidham said:
can i go to 8gigs of ram on dell 390 and not up grade xp pro 64 bit

Remember this, 32 OS will only utilize 3.5 gigs of RAM, where as a 64 bit OS can go much higher than that if the particular mobo you are using supports it. I believe the Precision 390 will handle 8 Gigs of DDR2 SDRAM. So if the ooperating system is 32 bit, don't go over 3.5 gigs of RAM (anything over is unusable by the system) and if you go 64 bit (which I recommend) then you can go up to 8 gigs of RAM for your particular computer. Hope this helps.
m
l
Related resources
August 21, 2010 3:16:37 PM

treefrog07 said:
Answered earlier.

Heck Treefrog, I know why you answered to his reply the way you did, but it would have been easier and faster to just type "NO" to his question, rather than typing those two words you typed. Have a good one though.
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
August 21, 2010 3:54:21 PM

irishbug said:
Heck Treefrog, I know why you answered to his reply the way you did, but it would have been easier and faster to just type "NO" to his question, rather than typing those two words you typed. Have a good one though.

You have a good one, too. :)  The reason is that he can add as much RAM as he can afford to buy, but as we explained, he is wasting money on anything more than ~4GB in a 32-bit Windows system. Plus, I found this thread after answering the first. :o 
m
l
August 22, 2010 12:39:19 AM

treefrog07 said:
You have a good one, too. :)  The reason is that he can add as much RAM as he can afford to buy, but as we explained, he is wasting money on anything more than ~4GB in a 32-bit Windows system. Plus, I found this thread after answering the first. :o 

thans a lot new at this
m
l
!