Sign in with
Your question
Solved

If i get a 5850 will i get 80+fps

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 16, 2010 8:58:00 PM

was wondering i have an online game i like alot, but my monitor only refreshes at 60khz so was wondering if i get a radeon 5850 im sure with my specs core i7 920@3.6 p[lus a 5850 would achieve 80fps in champions online but will it due to the monitor? wich is a acer p221w (24inch wide 5ms refresh 1680x1050 60hz)

thanks
winter

More about : 5850 fps

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 16, 2010 9:03:55 PM

i would imagine so, as long as the game isn't too demanding.

if i get your question, you are worrying about the refresh rate lowering your max FPS?

as long as you turn Vsync OFF, then it will not keep the framerate locked to your refresh rate.

i can't guarantee that you will get 80fps, but if you don't, it wont be the monitor stopping you.
m
l
January 16, 2010 9:10:54 PM

ok, well im wondering does verticle refresh rate turning that off, would it make the game look less graphical in any shape or form? its an option so im assuming it looks better with vertical resfresh (VSYNC) on??
thanks
winter
m
l
Related resources
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
January 16, 2010 9:19:21 PM

I believe you will not actually see more frames per second than your refresh rate at least you could not see more when we used CRT's. I assume the same is true with LCD's. However, if you do turn on V-sync, you'll either be limited to 30 frames per second or 60, depending on how fast your card is. With out V-sync on you will get any odd frame rate from 1-60 as well as tearing.

Simply put, your display never updates except during Vertial refresh mode, which happens at 60hz (60 times per second) on most LCD's. Vsync prevents the video card from updating the memory which is being displayed to the screen during this time, so when it is refreshing the screen, it won't have the image partially altered, which would result in blending of 2 imagage, often refered to as tearing.
m
l
January 16, 2010 9:27:04 PM

yea that is what i was wondering iv heard several stories in the past though. with 60mhz refresh rate would my monitor or would it not hold me back at 60fps any feedback is welcome :) 
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 16, 2010 9:28:37 PM

You aren't 'held back' at 60pfs, in fact 60fps is the optimal fps that you should be looking for (certain fps fanatics will disagree but that's a different argument).
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
January 16, 2010 9:34:30 PM

Well, let me put it to you this way. You will never have your screen update more than 60 frames per second with most LCD's (some are 120), but even with an 5850, you will not always be able to beat 60 frames per second in most games.

Being over that FPS results in a much more consistant and smooth feel.
m
l
January 16, 2010 9:52:41 PM

If your card can push the game you play at 60 fps (minimum) then you should turn on vsync. And like other people have already said... you're limited by your monitor's refresh rate. I get 200-300 FPS in Team Fortress 2... too bad my monitor is stuck at 60 hz. I just enable vsync and it's as smooth as silk.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 17, 2010 12:31:24 AM

you cant actually SEE a difference in framerate at more than 60fps, so the refresh rate is irrelevant. the reason you want more than that is so it FEELS smoother. it gives you a greater level of control that doesnt feel choppy when you are controlling it.

Vsync makes sure your framerate stays divisible by the refresh rate. it stops screen tearing, but IMO its a worthless feature.

if you want more FPS, keep it disabled, and it will look the same, but feel smoother.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
January 17, 2010 12:54:34 AM

welshmousepk said:
you cant actually SEE a difference in framerate at more than 60fps, so the refresh rate is irrelevant. the reason you want more than that is so it FEELS smoother. it gives you a greater level of control that doesnt feel choppy when you are controlling it.

Vsync makes sure your framerate stays divisible by the refresh rate. it stops screen tearing, but IMO its a worthless feature.

if you want more FPS, keep it disabled, and it will look the same, but feel smoother.

I don't think you understand how the monitor updates the images on the screen.

Your monitor, will update the screen exactly your refresh rate no matter what. If it's 60 hz, it updates the screen exactly 60 times per second without fail, and only 60 times per second. If you are only getting 30 FPS, that means that on average, most frames are repeated twice. If you are getting 240 FPS, that means on average, every 4th frame is displayed.

Vsync prevents access to the video memory being displayed, while the monitor is updating the image on the screen, so that the image doesn't get altered part way through the process of displaying the image, which will make it look like tearing.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 17, 2010 2:15:19 AM

i understand that perfectly, but the point remains that as long as you are getting those 60 frames a second being refreshed the image will look the same no matter how far above that framerate you go (other than the occasional bit of tearing) .

but how smooth a game feels has nothing to do with what you see, but how quickly and accurately it can react to your inputs. and the faster it is being rendered (higher FPS) the smoother it feels.

its for this exact reason that many consoel games shoot for 60FPS display, but background rendering to be higher than that.

Forza 3 for instance displays at 60FPS, but its physics are processed at 240FPS.

m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
January 17, 2010 2:17:53 AM

Ok, the way you worded it, I wasn't sure you understood that. And as far as the Vsync thing goes, some games really need it, others don't.

For example, I was running that unengine heaven benchmark (the one with DX11), and without vsync, the thing was flickering really badly. Once I enabled Vsync, it looked incredable. Some games handle the frames better than others. I start without vsync unless I see bad tearing.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 17, 2010 2:22:58 AM

yup yup.

i do exactly that, but i don't remember the last time i've had to turn Vsync on. Unigine heaven was perfect for me. as are all my games. i would rather my game be rendering at 100 FPS than 60 FPS unless the tearing makes it noticeably annoying.

come to think of it, i think HL2 was the last game i used Vsync on...
m
l
January 17, 2010 5:44:50 AM

ok thanks. well how far do games normaly jump around in frames? i know my 9800gtx goes anywhere from 22fps to 36fps on champions online using a core i7 920 @3.6 processor. just wondering trying to decide on a graphics card that would be effecient for most games. been thinking the 5850 possably 4890.

also if i play a game that uses psyhx alot, will i miss it if i go with radeon? is psyhx really all that as far as graphics

thanks
winter
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
January 17, 2010 2:36:44 PM

It is possible to get an ATI card for 3D and use a dedicated physX card from nvidia with the right patch/hack. I'm doing it myself.
m
l
January 17, 2010 2:47:30 PM

ok, i believe iv read that and actualy have the linkto make a dummy prong thingy to use psyhx but next question is, if i had a 5850 as my main card, would my psyx card have to be really fast to, so it dont slow down the main. what would be the minimul nvidia phsyx card i could use, withhout slowing the main down
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
January 17, 2010 3:59:16 PM

WINTERLORD said:
ok, i believe iv read that and actualy have the linkto make a dummy prong thingy to use psyhx but next question is, if i had a 5850 as my main card, would my psyx card have to be really fast to, so it dont slow down the main. what would be the minimul nvidia phsyx card i could use, withhout slowing the main down

The physX card would not play a role in normal 3D graphics. It will only be used for calculations. It will not impact your graphics and the only minimum is that it needs to be physX ready. I'm currently using a 5870 with an 8800gts for my physX card.
m
l
January 17, 2010 7:18:35 PM

well there might be more to it but idk, but awhile ago i ordered a 9600gso to dedicate psyx for my 9800gtx and the gso actualy brought my frames down by like -2fps. so im wondering would a 9400nvidia be able to do it? with a 5850ati, or is that apples and oranges because of the hack
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
January 17, 2010 7:38:52 PM

WINTERLORD said:
well there might be more to it but idk, but awhile ago i ordered a 9600gso to dedicate psyx for my 9800gtx and the gso actualy brought my frames down by like -2fps. so im wondering would a 9400nvidia be able to do it? with a 5850ati, or is that apples and oranges because of the hack

It does take a few extra resources to run the dedicated card and could effect your PCIe bandwidth in some situations, but that's about it. Perhaps that why you lost 1-2 fps to it when not doing something physX related, but when you do something that uses physX, you'd gain a bunch of FPS as your 3D card doesn't have to do both.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman-arkham-asylu...

When physX is needed, it has a huge bonus.

I do not believe your 9400 will support physX.

Here is a list of physX cards: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_gpus.html
m
l
January 17, 2010 9:11:22 PM

ok,yea im not to worried bout the performance gain but i would like psyhx in my game champions online. wich is psyhx capable. but ty for the article it says it all if no frame drop by looking at that
m
l
!