Sign in with
Your question

JXBLUE amd phenom x4 no boot

Last response: in Motherboards
August 21, 2010 12:22:06 AM

Hi, i am building my first computer here is the problem. I am getting no video i have done some troubleshooting. Swapped memory around single booted memory etc.
What i think is wrong is that my PSU is not up to par with my motherboard and cpu. Because the power supply is a 4 pin and the mobo is a 8 pin and says it requires 350w.

AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition Agena 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

JetWay JXBLUE-78GA3L-LF AM3/AM2 /AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

480 watt Logisys PSU
2 gig ddr2 ram

Any help would be appreciated

More about : jxblue amd phenom boot

a c 103 V Motherboard
August 21, 2010 1:04:30 AM

For starters, yes that PSU is kind of low. Pick up a 600w or higher PSU that is 80+ certified. When selecting your new PSU, try to find one with at least 3 +12v rails, each rail at ~18+ amps

Secondly, although your mobo may have an 8-pin socket, you can still use the 4-pin connector from the PSU.

Here are some quality PSU brands:

1. Corsair
2. Antec
3. Cooler Master
4. OCZ
5. Thermaltake
August 21, 2010 9:24:44 AM

Yeah i know the power supply is crap but it came the case so that should give you a idea. Someone recommended i try a esp power supply. I tried taking the motherboard out of the case and booting but no luck. I am not getting beep codes either
I think i have it narrowed down to ram, mobo or psu
Related resources
August 21, 2010 10:33:23 PM

Ok i have done some more testing. I took all the ram out still no beeps. Case fans and cpu fan are running cd drives & leds work. There is a blue power light on the motherboard.

Also dont know if this helps but a couple times when i have booted it a white horizontal line flashes quickly

thanks for any help
a c 103 V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 12:50:55 AM

There is no mention of a speaker connected to your mobo. These types of speakers are not the kind for audio playback (7.1 audio, for example). Do you have a speaker connected? If not, then thats why you're not hearing anything.

However, if you do have a mobo speaker connected, and you don't get beeps w/o RAM installed, chances are you have a defective mobo. As for the brief white horizontal lines, that means you did get a display. How are you connecting the monitor?

GPU?
Integrated chipset?

Also worth trying is swaping monitor cables.
August 25, 2010 11:10:45 PM

Just got a new 8 pin OCZ 550 watt PSU. Ok i have a speaker connected to the motherboard and no beeps without ram. Also i cant get it to duplicate the lines again. I am using the integrated chipset but i do have a HD 4550 gpu i could try if that could help. I was using a old monitor through vga but i have tried hdmi with the same results.

So far i have tried
all fans work and cd drive

Swapping the ram around booting with 1 stick of each
New 8 pin PSU
Different monitors
Resetting the cmos
No beeps with no ram, no beeps at all
Tried hdmi
Breadboarding

OCZ 550 watt PSU
Crucial 2 gig ddr2 800
JetWay JXBLUE-78GA3L-LF AM3/AM2 /AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition Agena 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Rosewill RCX-ZAIO-92 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
a c 103 V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 11:21:42 PM

Oh! You were using HDMI and the onboard chipset. Two things may be able to help in this case. First, install the HD 4550; your mobo may be defaulted to use the video card, thus disabling you from seeing a display on the monitor. Second, if using the GPU helps, get into your BIOS and change the setting to use the chipset, if that's what you want to use.

The other concern I have now is that you've confirmed having a mobo speaker installed, but you're not hearing any beeps. That could indicate in the most probable order:

1. PSU - you've already tried two, so chances are PSU isn't the problem
2. Mobo - if you're absolutely certain that the RAM is good, then it could be the DIMMS are bad
3. CPU - check to make sure that there is no thermal paste on the CPU pins, or that there are no bent CPU pins.
August 26, 2010 12:33:06 AM

Well, installed theHD 4550 and no difference. Im confident that it's not the PSU.
Im ruling out the Ram for now since it doesnt beep with or without it which indicates something else
I checked the Cpu it looked fine but it was not warm after running should it be?
So i have narrowed it down to the Cpu and motherboard. I'm thinking most likely the Mobo.

a c 103 V Motherboard
August 26, 2010 12:56:31 AM

I'm thinking mobo as well. The "no beeps" is really what makes me believe so.
August 26, 2010 1:17:10 AM

Ok guess ill rma the board thanks for all the help. Didnt think my first build would give me so much trouble i want it to run so bad!
!