How to install 120 mm fan as front fan on cm 690 II Advanced

Noise allergic

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
The Cooler Master 680 II comes with a 140 mm blue led front case fan. I want to replace this fan with a 120 mm 25 mm PWM fan to build a system with Power Sharing Technology (PST in Arctic Cooling therminology). For details see http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_48_68&mID=144.
My objective is to build an Intel i7-860 based system that is extremely quiet.
I haven't laid my hands on this case yet, but before I buy I would like to know if this will work.

PWM fans are nothing new. They may not have been called that but they have been around for ages. This is especially true for cpu heatsink fans.

You will have to check your motherboard specifications and your BIOS settings to find out how many fans the sytem BIOS can control and what type of fan cable connectors are required. Not all systems are the same.

skyturnred

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I have a 690 II too. You can remove the harddrive cage which lets you gain access to where the front fan is. I don't know how tho... lol sorry im not much of a help. I have the basic and I am not sure the harddrive cage can be removed in the basic. But i know it can be for the advanced.

skyturnred

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
now that i take a closer look it looks as though u can take out 4 screws out of the hdd cage if u take off the right side panel, and another 4 by taking of the dust filter on the bottom of chasis. there are probably a few more screws somewhere but if they're on the basic version of 690 II, they are on the advanced version

Noise allergic

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks JohnnyLucky, your second response is very helpfull, as I hadn't uncovered the CM Youtube video yet. This answers the question. From the picture I could clearly see that the 140 mm front fan can easily be replaced by a 120 mm fan as the additional screw holes are provided. I haven't yet found a 140 mm PWM fan so for the time being I'll use the Arctic Cooling 120 mm one. Currently I have PST working on my Intel Core 2 duo E6750 system and I only hear it when its working real hard. Most of the time it runs hardly audible when I'm working. My next i7-860 based system should have the same qualities.

I was at a Fry's Electronics store this afternoon and had a good look at the new Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced. It is a very nice case. I even took the side panel off and looked at the interior. I liked it. Once the side panel is off it is very very easy to access the two screws securing the lower hard drive cage. For $99.99 it is a very good buy.