Sign in with
Your question

HDD

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 18, 2012 10:56:24 AM

so i need some advice, ive got my new rig and my old rig. ive got a 160gb HDD in my old rig with all my stuff and what not. but i was thinking about selling my old one to buy new stuff for my new rig but who is going to buy it without a HDD? so i was thinking about buying just like a 80gb or so HDD for my old rig and using my HDD i have now for my new rig.. how can i get a copy of windows disk so i can install windows on a new HDD?

More about : hdd

a b G Storage
January 18, 2012 11:15:08 AM

You can get one from Microsoft, they can provide you with the installation key and an iso of the installation DVD. Pretty easy, too.
m
l
a c 386 G Storage
January 18, 2012 11:24:28 AM

You can buy a retail copy at staples, walmart, and most stores. Online retailer's like newegg.com also sell OEM versions of windows.
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2012 12:01:01 PM

no i got a product key just need the disk. anyway to put a install disk on a flash drive from the web?
m
l
a c 386 G Storage
January 18, 2012 12:07:27 PM

I'm missing something. If you have a key it should have come with a disk or ISO download. If the key is from your previous copy of windows, using it on more than one computer is a violation of the EULA and you will need to purchase another copy of windows.
m
l
January 18, 2012 1:18:28 PM

no i was given a product key from school a while back but all they did was email us the key number so i have no copies of windows install disk. just wondering if you can download and burn one or put one on a flash drive and install from there?
m
l
a b G Storage
January 18, 2012 1:22:21 PM

blakecarter said:
no i was given a product key from school a while back but all they did was email us the key number so i have no copies of windows install disk. just wondering if you can download and burn one or put one on a flash drive and install from there?

Yes, you can do that.
m
l
January 18, 2012 2:04:51 PM

awesome, any website in general or just google it?
m
l
a b G Storage
January 18, 2012 2:11:27 PM

Like I said, your best bet is to contact Microsoft, tell them the situation, and they should be able to provide you with a iso download link. That way you know you're getting a clean image, too.
m
l
a c 386 G Storage
January 18, 2012 2:21:02 PM

You can try asking the school that gave you the key. I'm surprised they didn't give you a disk or a website to grab the iso from.
m
l
January 18, 2012 11:19:21 PM

hawkeye22- it was usually for a vitural machine but usually what they do is just give them to us and the teacher tells us to either keep the key and use the 30 day trail or use to key and waste it lol. so go figure.. ima search around town im sure someone has a disk laying around -.-
m
l
!