ATI Radeon HD 5670

Status
Not open for further replies.

daza89

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Hi

I've got a quad core 2.5ghz, 4gb memory, 350 watt power supply and was looking at getiing Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5670 / 1GB GDDR5 / PCI Express 2.0 / Graphics Card but it recommends 400 watts
Will this work or not?
any help please :)

ricbst

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Probably, but it is highly recommended to you an upgrade of psu..

It can damage the card, the motherboard or all...

daza89

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Medion E7001, info on the psu:
AC input 230-240V-,4A,50-60HZ
dc output :350w
+3.3V & +5V=103w max)(=12V1 & +12V2=300w max)
hope thats the right stuff

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
The power supply fortressd listed above is not a recognized name brand. If you were to purchase a power supply your best low cost option would probably be a Corsair 400cx ($39 after MIR on newegg)--I own it, works great. Other good power supply brands are Antec, OCZ, Seasonic.

Back to your original question... yes it should work--but no it its not recommended. An upgraded power supply will make your system cooler, quieter, more power efficient, and less likely to burn up.

This power-use graph gives you an interesting perspective between cards in this range.
Power.png

(2)12v rails at 300W. 300w/12v=25A.

I'd run a 5670 on that. Just don't overclock anything or install more HD or Optical drives.

osiguy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I have a Sapphire 5670 and it has a third party fan so it doesn't over heat but I would pay attention to what Sapphire says when it comes to your Power Supply don't skimp. It may not be the most important part of a computer, but if it goes, so goes the whole computer.

Personally I got a whole new system cause I was tired of dinkin around with the cheap crap and I got a Coolmax 950 wat 3 way sli/crossfire modular PSU. It was 109.99 at Newegg.com.
It is a great PS with a huge fan on top. Fortunately the PS goes in the top of my Thermaltake Armor+ Tower so all its heat goes directly out the top.
This video card may not be as power hungry as the 5870 becase it can't do as much but you can't x-fire with it and you will definitely need more than a 300w ps then. I say look ahead. Don't make the mistake I made when I got my first mobo for this build and bought an ASRock x58 Extreme. Get a good power supply that will have future value when you upgrade.
I like the 5670 so much before too long I will either get another one to x-fire or I will save up and get a 5870.
Sapphire is pretty good on their ratings to protect you. I really wouldn't run your 5670 on a 300w PS because the 400 quoted by Sapphire is the minimum recommendation, kind of like trying to run Windows Vista Aero with a minimum of 1gig of ram and a pent4 processor... yeah good luck with that one.

horde34

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
dont listen to this dude a 300 watt psu is more then enough for the 5670 it only draws 61 watt of power at idle and 76 at full load meaning it take pratcally nothin to run this card and there is post all over the internet of people running on a 330 watt and haveing no prob now in your case idont know it might better now for me i am gettin a 5670 but ialso have a dell inspiron 545 and the dell power supply is really good most people who do run this card on a 300 watt do it on a dell psu so who knows most card do need no were near wut the box says to power them they factor in everything in your pc not just the card

Status
Not open for further replies.