Sign in with
Your question

DVD Writer can't read CDs

Last response: in Storage
January 18, 2012 1:29:05 PM

My dvd writer can read and write DVDs but can't recognize any kind of CDs. When I insert a CD the disc just keep spinning and doesn't load. The writer is a LG GH22NP20. I have Windows 7 64 bits and Windows XP SP3 installed in my pc and both have the same problem.

More about : dvd writer read cds

a c 152 G Storage
January 18, 2012 2:38:12 PM

Chances are the CD drive portion is shot. This game happen.

I have seen it go the other way before. Read CD's/Single layer DVD and stop reading Dual layer DVD.

Even had a bluray player stop reading DVD/CD and keep reading bluray.
m
l
January 18, 2012 9:29:08 PM

Well I didn't know that was possible. But, could it be a software problem?
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2012 10:13:50 PM

No it's not a software problem. These things wear out.
m
l
a c 152 G Storage
January 19, 2012 12:44:33 AM

In the case of my DVD reader not reading dual layer discs it was because it uses some kind of light(red and it came from the lens with the laser it self) to read into the second layer, this no longer game on and then it just could not do what it had to.

On my bluray reader, the DVD/CD laser it self just gave out. It was actually 2 units attached on the same rail(maybe because it was a early design).
m
l
January 19, 2012 12:52:05 AM

So that's it. The part that reads the CDs its broken. Well at least the writer isnt expensive so I will buy a new one. Thanks.
m
l
a c 152 G Storage
January 19, 2012 1:24:13 AM

If you shop newegg/ncix/ect, they are very inexpensive.

Please note OEM burners do not come with software(NERO, ect).
m
l
January 20, 2012 1:20:53 PM

aero356 said:
My dvd writer can read and write DVDs but can't recognize any kind of CDs. When I insert a CD the disc just keep spinning and doesn't load. The writer is a LG GH22NP20. I have Windows 7 64 bits and Windows XP SP3 installed in my pc and both have the same problem.

check Data Cable. If writer is connected to middle socket of cable then,
connect it to end socket of data cable. or vise-versa.
m
l
!