Sign in with
Your question

Best 1080p gaming monitor for the money?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 16, 2010 11:06:34 PM

Hi all,

Over the past few days I've been reading reviews about monitors but I really lack the knowledge to be able to pick the right one for me.
I'm looking for a 21.5'' - 23'' monitor (24'' won't fit on my desktop) with a native resolution of 1920x1080.
I'll be using it primarily for gaming (FPS games) and watching movies so smooth images are important.
I believe low refresh rates have a detrimental effect on the smoothness so I prefer higher refresh rates like 75Hz or more.
BTW, I don't need built-in speakers systems and I don't care about it being able to run blu-rays or not.

After spending some time reading reviews, these really caught my attention:

Acer H223HQAbmid
LG W2261V-PF
LG W2361V-PF
LG W2353V-PF Black

So, do you guys have any monitors to recommend? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

- Fleijah.
January 16, 2010 11:18:11 PM

Anyone? I could really use some help here :) .
January 17, 2010 7:55:23 PM

me and my fiance would like to know the answer to this as well. was wondering has the OP found an answer to this . and looking up those monitors they dont seem to exist so i am wondering what is the best 1080p monitor for say about 200bucks
Related resources
January 17, 2010 10:40:14 PM

I'm pretty much still where I was when I started this thread, I did find some positive reviews about the BenQ E2200 HD too though. Currently I'm considering the LG W2261V-PF (or the 23'' version) and the BenQ as the main contenders. The reason you can't find the LG monitor is probably because there are 2 versions of that monitor, the second version is called LG W2261VP-PF, leave the '-PF' when googling it up: gives you more results. This second version has a philips panel which seems to be far inferior to the other version, which is less common. Other than that, I haven't come any further than I was.
a b C Monitor
January 18, 2010 12:10:03 AM

I think they are all perform great, from your options above i would say LG W2353V-PF Black... :) 
January 18, 2010 4:54:37 AM

would like to see thios monitor myself but cant find it, anyone have a link
January 18, 2010 9:00:47 AM

Hey, what about the 'VIEWSONIC VX2260WM' ? My brother bought that 'LED' lcd and it's just WOW! type monitor.
January 18, 2010 9:47:25 PM

ALright, I know which one I'm going to buy, thanks to those who replied :) . It'll still take a while before I actually buy it so I'm still open to suggestions but it looks like it's going to be the LGW2261V-PF if it's still available, and if not it'll be the LG W2253V. Thanks for the replies :) .
January 18, 2010 10:00:33 PM

fleijah said:
ALright, I know which one I'm going to buy, thanks to those who replied :) . It'll still take a while before I actually buy it so I'm still open to suggestions but it looks like it's going to be the LGW2261V-PF if it's still available, and if not it'll be the LG W2253V. Thanks for the replies :) .

Honestly the difference between two monitors in the $200 price range are pretty negligible. One might have deeper blacks or better color, but how noticeable is it going to be to you. You might want to see these in person to see which one you like better, but otherwise they are pretty similar.
January 19, 2010 10:58:57 AM

I realise that after some research, all those bold claims about monitors having a far superior contrast ratio or extremely fast responses are pretty much negligible. And even if one monitor has worse factory-settings colours than another, they can still be adjusted by the user.
However there are differences between ghosting, colours and contrast ratios even in this price class. I based my decision on the reviews on www.digitalversus.com because they actually show real-time testing results. Those tests do show some differences, however small they are... this thread is about the BEST monitor in its class after all :) .
The LG 2253V provides the smoothest images (least ghosting) with impressive colours where as the LG 2261V has a better contrast with slightly more ghosting. The differences are only very small though.

Thanks for your reply.
!