HD 5870 Not Working??

ruthus99

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Hello Everybody.
I recently built a custom computer with a HD 5870 graphics card. I managed to get it to fit in perfectly by removing the back plate at the back of the graphics card which makes all the Ports flush. When I turn on my computer, the fans start spinning on the Graphics card but I get the error on my display "No Input" The monitor defently works because it worked with another computer. I have connected the Card to the monitor using a VGA cable with a DVI adapter. All of it is insured so it is generally ok. I am using a Asus Crosshair III formula motherboard and I am wondering if that is not compatible or something. What should I do? Is it a faulty Card?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

holycrikey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
I'm with paperfox. I immediately think of power supply. The 5870 requires at least a solid 500 watt psu. Make sure you're at least at the minimum. Ensure all power connections to it are solid and of the required type (remember, you can't use molex adapters to the 8 pin and such).

Do you have a 2nd PCI-E slot (usually the 8x slot)? Give that a whirl and see if you can limit it to a mobo problem. Or try installing another GPU to your mobo. Troubleshoot it out and start limiting problem components.

ruthus99

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I have got a 850 Watt modular power supply. The card came with two 6-pin to 3 pin molex adapters so I can power the card. I have tried both DVI slots and both of the PCI slot. I am afraid I dont have any spare cards avaliable But I dont think it is because of the motherboard. Also, how would I uninstall any other Drivers if I am not able to install windows and such. There is a reset button on my motherboard, should I press that? And finally. If the PSU powers up the Card and makes the fan spin, can that still mean that it does not have enough power to allow the card to display

arunloveshacking

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Hi... I dont think the problem is with the graphics card.
Lust check the RAM you installed in the motherboard is proper and dust free.. Remove it, clean it with a rubber and replace it. then power on.Your problem should be solved now.

ruthus99

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Well, you know the plate at the back of the card which has the screw holes at the top at the back of the card, I removed that. I will try and get a DVI cable so there should be no problems but I might have damaged my card. I have ordered a free replacement one anyway

ruthus99

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
No, it does not void the warranty, and I removed it because I could not put it into the case as it was too big with that on, and anyway, I can screw it back on