Really having hugely annoying problem

cheesepuff

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Hey all I am having the biggest most perplexing problem. all of a sudden yesterday, my computer started moving super slow for what seemed to be no apparent reason. I have 8gb of ram in my computer, always have had that amount. Anyways I went into msconfig, and went to boot, hit advanced options, and there I saw max memory checked with only the numbers 256. I delved deeper into this most perplexing mystery and found my computer is only using 256 mb of ram out of 8129GB of ram. I need help bad!

cheesepuff

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Uhh...I must be an idiot. Cpu-z isnt showing me anything about my motherboard. All it shows is lots of blank areas where my motherboard info should be. Is CPU-Z supposed to do this? Also it is doing the same thing with everything else except CPU. Helps me

grimarchangel

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
sorry for long reply, internet issues.

i honestly have no clue why it would do that, and it couldnt be you. hmmm. i might suggest pming someone with more experience. i think this is beyond my skills. apologies.

Uncheck that max memory box.
Reset your CMOS it's probably corrupted.
Some mobo's have a CMOS reset button outside or inside the case.
Otherwise you'll have to pull the small silver battery for 3-5 mins.
Unplug your rig from the wall outlet and depress the front power button on your case before delving inside.
Also with one hand touch a steel part of the case chassis or the psu to ground yourself.
After you wait 3-5 mins replace the battery and power up.
If nothing happens your battery could be dead if so they cost about $3.