Sign in with
Your question

Old Alienware

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2010 2:01:15 AM

Hey everyone. I have an aging Alienware still running a P4 processor at 3.0 ghz. Now I've had this computer for about 6 years now and I've only replaced the motherboard once and added an extra 2 sticks of 1g ram on top of the original 2g it already had. The computer doesn't turn on anymore when i hit the on switch in frong of the rig. I do however see the motherboard light on when the power supply is connected, but still doesn't turn on. Any ideas what the problem might be?

More about : alienware

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2010 3:02:55 AM

Well sounds like a possible PSU problem. If you remove some of the load from the PSU, maybe you can start it up. You could remove 3 sticks of RAM and possibly remove the power connector to the CD/DVD drive.

What are you full system specs?? This will help us all to help you better/quicker. Please include make/model of the parts, if you know them. At least the make and model of the system you have.
m
l
January 23, 2010 3:50:10 AM

CPU- Pentium 4 processor 3.0 ghz
Motherboard- P4P800-MX
Hard Drive- Seagate 120 gb
Memory- 4 sticks of DDR400 1gb ram
Power Supply- 480 w
GPU- Sparkle 9400 gt 1024 dedicated memory. (PCI)
OS- Windows XP home

Thanks for replying so soon.....I'm gonna try that and see how it goes.
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2010 4:06:43 AM

Okay....tried starting it with the 1 stick of ram and no CD drive but didn't work. The green light on the motherboard is still lit but a no go when i hit the on button....I'm guessing i need a new PSU?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2010 4:23:52 AM

Yeah it's possible, but you could just be a bad power switch too.

Do you have an onboard GPU?? If you do, than you could pull out the GPU and see if the system powers up. If it does, than it's probably a bad PSU, if it doesn't than it could still be a bad PSU.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2010 5:46:16 AM

And this is why I would never spend enough for something like an Alienware. Ever.
m
l
January 23, 2010 6:30:09 AM

False_Dmitry_II said:
And this is why I would never spend enough for something like an Alienware. Ever.

Well....it is 6 years old and it only starting giving me problems last year.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2010 2:05:15 PM

Do you know how to short the "power on"pins on the motherboard's front panel? If it starts, then your case power button died (but unlikely).

Break it down and breadboard.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2010 3:40:08 PM

Yeah, the problem is that your main computer is 6 years old. That's what I'm talking about.

Though that in itself shouldn't cause problems.
m
l
January 23, 2010 4:03:04 PM

let's try to be helpful...since that's why we're here.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2010 4:59:32 PM

Like I said, age in and of itself shouldn't make a difference as to working or not. Sometime in the summer of last year I went and grabbed a comp from '99 that was literally kept outside. It was even rusted. I just opened it up and cleared the dust and debris and it ran just fine. Used it for awhile as a file/print server till I put the harddrive into a better comp.

Unless you let dust or something build up and kept using it, then there shouldn't be a problem. Unless of course that PSU was cheap or something. Just buy a good one from somewhere you can return it, and test it. If it works, that's the problem. (Although it would be easier to just find a working computer and hooking it up so that yours looks like it's on life support just for testing)
m
l
!