Win98 freeze UP

raylee011

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Abit BH6(earier version) Cel300A, 64MB, ATI Expert98, Motorola 56K, Hitachi DVD, Creative Sound Card. It is running Windows98. For some reason, the PC just Freeze Up all the time, I did the reinstall many times already. It will run smoothly for several weeks and it will come back to freeze up. WHat causes all of this. I really couldn't figure this out. And my friend computer just give her a big screen once in a while. I am sure it is not the temp. problem because the case is opened.

colinm1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your problem could be overheating.
You say the case is open, therefore the fan is trying to cool the whole room.Try closing the case this will give much better cooling to your CPU.
Failing that I suggest a complete format of your hard disk and do a clean re-install.(I know its a pain but it generally works when nothing else does.

Hope this helps

colinm1

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your fan is trying to cool your whole room???
Your computer will always run cooler with the case open.
Try setting your bios setting on normal instead of optimal.
Worked for my A7V. Then try the format thing.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get better drivers for your hardware. I would start with that horrible sound card from Creative Labs. If I ever became violent towards any of my computer parts, the SBLive would be the first one to feel my wrath.