Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD Fusion: Brazos Gets Previewed: Part 2, Performance

Last response: in Reviews comments
November 16, 2010 9:51:30 AM

Looking extremely impressive AMD, where as before you were a full gen behind, now id just say half gen. Make BD a big success, and you will most definitely get back in the game, however i doubt it would be enough to take the lead.
Score
Anonymous
November 16, 2010 10:06:11 AM

did you realize that sometime it's as fast as the i3 with 2,2ghz?
Score
Related resources
November 16, 2010 10:06:54 AM

If an Intel processor and an AMD processor were exactly the same - 9 out of 10 'normal' people would choose the Intel

The only people "in the know" are in the enthusiast segment of the market, which is a very small slice really.

Its a constant uphill battle for AMD, but then again, if they didn't exist, we'd all be paying through the nose for slower processors
Score
November 16, 2010 10:36:25 AM

Hope it will come sooner than later...
Score
Anonymous
November 16, 2010 11:16:11 AM

I don't like when Tom's trow at us many facts from the AMD crowd to brainwash our mind. I don't like when the game is to convince the community to buy something who is not proved again.

"The new AMD Fusion developer "trust fund" is actually a great way to start chipping away at the current CPU-heavy mentality." Yeas and we are also GPU-heavy mentality too!!!

Score
November 16, 2010 11:28:38 AM

Who the hell plays games on a netbook? Another spectacular fail for AMD.
Score
November 16, 2010 12:00:51 PM

killerclickWho the hell plays games on a netbook? Another spectacular fail for AMD.

Probably not a lot of people, but when netbooks have the capability to play at acceptable levels for the masses, they will be great.
Score
November 16, 2010 12:21:00 PM

Nifty, an the best thing about AMD making high end competition for intel is price drops lol, if AMD can pull it off.
Score
November 16, 2010 12:22:07 PM

Even more interesting would be a tablet that can be used to play games!
So it could mean that we can read e-mail, read e-books watch movies and internet pages and even play with tablet-PC. Netbook is just one step ahead... Yep it is not the same as Nvidia 460, even 350 or amd 5650 from the low end (gaming), but the resolution would be smaller, so it would be possible.

Let see what we get when this is really out.
All in all it gives people a choice. Need more CPU and very rarely GPU power... take intel... If you don't need so much CPU power, but need GPU power chose AMD. It's good to have altenatives!
Score
November 16, 2010 12:22:09 PM

fredericoIf an Intel processor and an AMD processor were exactly the same - 9 out of 10 'normal' people would choose the IntelThe only people "in the know" are in the enthusiast segment of the market, which is a very small slice really.Its a constant uphill battle for AMD, but then again, if they didn't exist, we'd all be paying through the nose for slower processors

The average user either picks Intel or Apple. And when the user picks Apple the CPU manufacturer is absolutely out of question.
Score
November 16, 2010 12:24:03 PM

Umm people whom play wow needs a quick fix in between other things?

Those kind of people would indeed like a extremely portable gaming device, hell if they have a deal with some sort of internet on the go then maybe I will take the bus + subway and not drive to work.

On other news you guys used 3.4.0 wow?! Patch 4.0.1 dropped in 12 of OCT and you can't get on the official servers w/o updating, are you guys using a private server?! Or even better a blizzard sanctioned low lat testing server?!!!!
Score
November 16, 2010 12:49:58 PM

sireangelusdid you realize that sometime it's as fast as the i3 with 2,2ghz?

But against what is soon to become Intel's "old line." With the release of Sandy Bridge and a whole new architecture, AMD is going to need to have solid performance, at least enough to match Intel's previous offerings.
Score
November 16, 2010 1:02:59 PM

ares1214Looking extremely impressive AMD, where as before you were a full gen behind, now id just say half gen. Make BD a big success, and you will most definitely get back in the game, however i doubt it would be enough to take the lead.

You mean a half gen ahead? Cuz this stomps atom into dust and intel has nothing close.
Score
November 16, 2010 1:04:40 PM

burnley14But against what is soon to become Intel's "old line." With the release of Sandy Bridge and a whole new architecture, AMD is going to need to have solid performance, at least enough to match Intel's previous offerings.

Intel's "old line" is mostly on the same 32nm process of Sandy Bridge so it's not like intel has some huge miracle coming up, just a few percent more. They still have nothing close to this performance per die size and watt.
Score
November 16, 2010 1:08:39 PM

theholylancer On other news you guys used 3.4.0 wow?! Patch 4.0.1 dropped in 12 of OCT and you can't get on the official servers w/o updating, are you guys using a private server?! Or even better a blizzard sanctioned low lat testing server?!!!!

It waw probably run when 3.4.0 was the latest version, over a month ago.
Score
November 16, 2010 1:59:38 PM

Ive been a big fan of AMD and Im really rooting for them. Besides loving the great price/performance ratio they offer, I have high hopes for them and really hope BD and their other offerings are well embraced. We all know what will happen if AMD were to somehow stumble and fail. You think Intel's prices are expensive now...
Score
November 16, 2010 2:08:48 PM

As long as it will trash atom... It will!
Score
November 16, 2010 2:11:03 PM

Highlighting the name of the item being reviewed in the graphs would be a good thing. Or, place them in the same order for comparison's sake.
Score
November 16, 2010 2:23:47 PM

AMD has a better graphics chip then Intel, its a total shock.
Score
November 16, 2010 3:21:05 PM

Wow, what a disappointment.
Score
November 16, 2010 3:54:51 PM

Most notebook processors are no longer the hindrance when it comes to gaming. I think AMD is taking a smart step by trying to improve overall performance of notebooks instead of just ramping up the speed.
Score
November 16, 2010 4:03:03 PM

fredericoIf an Intel processor and an AMD processor were exactly the same - 9 out of 10 'normal' people would choose the IntelThe only people "in the know" are in the enthusiast segment of the market, which is a very small slice really.Its a constant uphill battle for AMD, but then again, if they didn't exist, we'd all be paying through the nose for slower processors

100% agree on this not only my family but sometimes friends won't know who or what AMD is, they really need to market themselves more to the general public. Another issue is that they don't hold the highest performance right now so even though Enthusiasts know all about AMD they're not all going to buy their CPU's.
Score
November 16, 2010 4:43:52 PM

tsnorquistProbably not a lot of people, but when netbooks have the capability to play at acceptable levels for the masses, they will be great.

The masses play Farmville and Mafia Wars. I don't care how good the specs are, you cannot have a quality 3D gaming experience on a laptop screen, not even 17" but especially not 10".
Score
November 16, 2010 5:52:03 PM

No h264 decoding acceleration in linux (among other linux AMD papercuts), sigh, completely useless to me and it looks like my ION netbook will do the job for a few more years.
Score
November 16, 2010 6:10:26 PM

Any word about socket compatibility on the zambezi cpus?
Score
Anonymous
November 16, 2010 6:12:43 PM

Add the AMD GPU to the core i5... win win
Score
November 16, 2010 6:16:08 PM

It is interesting that just a few miles away from ware I live there is a river with the same name that is known for it's agricultural runoff.
Score
Anonymous
November 16, 2010 7:30:32 PM

I would like to know if it (and its 1.2GHz small brother) is capable playing Netflix and Hulu. Including HD. Because Atoms (and all netbooks with them) are not. And how soon watching HD movie on netflix via WiFi (50 feet from a 802.11n router) will drain a typical 3-cell netbook battery. Playing 3D games, encoding video, WinZipping massive amounts of data... people just don't do this thing on the class of hardware in question.
Score
Anonymous
November 16, 2010 7:31:10 PM

I would like to know if it (and its 1.2GHz small brother) is capable playing Netflix and Hulu. Including HD. Because Atoms (and all netbooks with them) are not. And how soon watching HD movie on netflix via WiFi (50 feet from a 802.11n router) will drain a typical 3-cell netbook battery. Playing 3D games, encoding video, WinZipping massive amounts of data... people just don't do this thing on the class of hardware in question.
Score
November 16, 2010 7:33:52 PM

Good GPU on a netbook does not only improve gaming performance, but more and more we see accelerated applications taking advantage of GPU.
Thing web browsing (that you definitely do on a netbook), but I can also see small video encoding: I take the netbook with me on trips and I use it to download photos and videos taken with my camera.
For "serious" editing I go on my desktop, but it's nice to know I could to some encoding "on the fly" and have it done before I have to go back home ;) 
Score
Anonymous
November 16, 2010 7:47:39 PM

All of this is to make people talking about such products and to have consumers approbation for a particular product offer. Intel and Nvidia make same marketing.
Score
November 16, 2010 7:54:09 PM

Nice to see a WoW benchmark, that game does have weird preferences with cpu/gpu.
Score
November 16, 2010 9:12:34 PM

AMD should take a huge slice of the pie away from Intel in the mobile area, based on how well this performs.

The graphics performance is awesome.

Score
November 16, 2010 10:39:26 PM

Finally, it has come! This time the netbook could run the Win7 with aero smoothly
Score
November 16, 2010 10:42:04 PM

I wish AMDs roadmaps were a bit easier to read. They just state what year the product will come out. We have no idea what quarter so we have no idea what it will face from Intel.

We know that most of this is set for 2011. Sandy Bridge is set for now with full release in Q1 2011. And we have a refresh for Atom coming within the next yar as well.

I can see this trouncing Atom in gaming and some other aspects but in battery life, I don't think it will beat Atom seeing as it is being set to compete in the notebook market. Thats where things will get a bit hairy. Sandy Bridge is already proving to be a nice performance boost.

If this were to hit at Christmas time it may do well. but if its in 2011, I have a bad feeling it will have to really work hard against SB.
Score
November 16, 2010 11:00:02 PM

At what? Zacate will beat sandy bridge at gaming more often than not. It's different markets, if you want inet browsing/casual gaming and that, Zacate will be far and away the best choice. If you need to render and encode, SB will be better.

The average user will only need Zacate, and it's awesome battery life, ever again.
Score
November 17, 2010 1:57:10 AM

killerclickWho the hell plays games on a netbook? Another spectacular fail for AMD.

People don't play games on netbooks because none of the current netbooks can play anything
/sigh...
Score
November 17, 2010 5:02:24 AM

"Who the hell plays games on a netbook? Another spectacular fail for AMD."

Well lets see now, they have millions of people playing games on 4" cell phone screens. And probably about 60 million playing "farmville" who would love to play it on their netbooks. Anything that will increase graphics performance while maintaining high battery life on a netbook should be a good thing to the consumer. And maybe they can get some sales in on the "Ipad killer" market. But I will have to agree with Jobs on this one; If it isn"t 10" or larger its just a big cell phone.
Score
November 17, 2010 5:48:40 AM

still a long road ahead
Score
November 17, 2010 6:01:00 AM

If you ask me the 1.6 ghz Zacate in a 11.6 or 12 inch form factor with 720P resolution with over 5 hours battery life would be the sweet spot for portability combined with horsepower. If they can get that platform out at $500 or less its a solid win. It would be ideal for school work with the ability to do casual gaming, or watching HD content without dropped frames. I'm using a ASUS EEPC 1000HE right now and its painfully slow and the resolution at 1000x600 sucks for facebook mafia wars, vampire wares etc... let alone web page browsing.
Score
Anonymous
November 17, 2010 7:39:09 AM

I do not think the average computer user cares if the cpu is Intel or AMD.
Score
Anonymous
November 17, 2010 10:30:28 AM

No k325?its unfair comparison. All are dual cores vs a single core
Score
November 17, 2010 12:07:49 PM

fredericoIf an Intel processor and an AMD processor were exactly the same - 9 out of 10 'normal' people would choose the Intel

'normal' people (meaning the general population) don't have the slightest idea which processor in in their laptop. If you asked, they would tell you they have a Toshiba, Dell, Apple, etc.
Score
Anonymous
November 17, 2010 2:39:19 PM

all ran on unoptimized code, 'IF' AMD can get the GPGPU off the ground and get some optimized codes going performance could really take off
Score
November 17, 2010 4:39:46 PM

I think that some people are getting a little confused here.
Zacate (18 watt TDP) is not for netbooks.It's for low cost notebooks.
Ontario (9 watt TDP) is for netbooks.Might be able to do some type of gaming (especially older titles) with Ontario but it will be limited.
Score
November 17, 2010 6:25:22 PM

fredericoIf an Intel processor and an AMD processor were exactly the same - 9 out of 10 'normal' people would choose the Intel

No, if the processors were "the same," 9 out of 10 normal people would pick whatever's cheapest, or stuck in the brand (by which I mean HP, Acer, etc., not Intel or AMD) they know.
Score
November 17, 2010 6:54:29 PM

integrated graphics is for phussies
Score
!