Set a program to run before a user logs in?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Is it possible to have the computer execute a program before a user logs
into the PC?

What I'm hoping to do is run a small utility when the machine boots, before
the user is presented with the login screen. We need to set the display
hardware, etc. to a known state before a user logs in. After that they can
change the settings if they wish but we need them to change back once the
machine is restarted.

Thanks!

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You could have a Computer Startup script executed through a GPO.
Check out gpedit.msc, Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Scripts,
Startup.
The downside of this (for your situation) might be, that it is only executed
upon Computer Startup,
so basically only once. If user logs on, changes settings and logs off, the
script won't get re-executed unless the system is rebooted.
So, upon the following login the settings are not your preferred initial
ones.

george

"Grahammer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message
> Is it possible to have the computer execute a program before a user logs
> into the PC?
>
> What I'm hoping to do is run a small utility when the machine boots,
> before
> the user is presented with the login screen. We need to set the display
> hardware, etc. to a known state before a user logs in. After that they can
> change the settings if they wish but we need them to change back once the
> machine is restarted.
>
> Thanks!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If you're talking about the desktop view only, enable Desktop policy "Don't
save settings at exit". If it's something else, continue to dig in the
policies.