Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Would this be a smart upgrade or not????

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2010 12:39:06 AM

BFG Tech BFGE88512GTOC2E GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 = current

to this:

PNY VCGGTS2501XPB GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

My computer:
MSI MS-7350 MOBO P6N SLI Platinum
2 GB of corsair memory (soon to be 4 gig)
Core 2 Duo E6750

I am also considering upgrading my proc. Any suggestions? I want to stick w/ dual core.

More about : smart upgrade

a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2010 12:43:59 AM

I wouldn't say it's a smart upgrade. But it depends on price.

It will boost performance, but not by alot (it's essentially on overclocked GF8800GTS-512), and this late in the game it's getting rather limiting feature wise.

What game are you playing that it currently struggles with? That might give us a better idea of what would be a worthwhile improvement.
m
l
January 17, 2010 12:45:55 AM

Hi

Well, why go for GTS 250 and why not for ATI 5770? I think ATI 5770 performs better then GTS 250 and also has dx11 support.

Well about the processor, you can go for Phenom black editions.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2010 12:46:01 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
I wouldn't say it's a smart upgrade. But it depends on price.

It will boost performance, but not by alot (it's essentially on overclocked GF8800GTS-512), and this late in the game it's getting rather limiting feature wise.

What game are you playing that it currently struggles with? That might give us a better idea of what would be a worthwhile improvement.

+1
m
l
January 17, 2010 12:51:15 AM

The game is LFD2. Sometimes it struggles just a bit. I am wondering if it's my measly 2 gig of RAM.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2010 1:11:22 AM

Well it would give you a boost, but how much are you paying?

As for the RAM, not sure, doubtful, but could be.

If you're building for the future and plan on adding the 2GB of RAM anyways, then I'd start there, I'd also want to either get an HD5xxx or wait for the new nVidia cards if I were buying something new now, just to not regret it in a few months.

The GTS250 is definitely 'capable' at L4D and faster than your current card, but 'smart upgrade' would require the price to be very low.

If I were not just throwing money around (which I do personally actually, not on high end, but when I want something as a nice fit I just buy it, but that's not 'smart'), then get the card, it will be an improvement, but if you want value, I wouldn't.

I would prefer lowering the features/sliders a bit and putting the money towards a newer card/type, even if I wanted nV-only, I'd wait for the new cards.

But that's just my two frames' worth.
m
l
January 17, 2010 1:24:00 AM

Whats an HD5XXX? Is that ATI?

Thanks for the input, I will just do the memory for now.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2010 1:36:01 AM

The HD5xxx is the HD5670, HD5770, HD5870, HD5970 cards, just an easy way to write it, and until we know budget or sales, no idea what to recommend so it's easier writing it that way for some of us, the other ways are HD5K and HD5 series.

Hope the memory helps, otherwise you may need to make a tough decision about buying for now or buying looking towards the future.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2010 2:05:18 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Well it would give you a boost, but how much are you paying?

As for the RAM, not sure, doubtful, but could be.

If you're building for the future and plan on adding the 2GB of RAM anyways, then I'd start there, I'd also want to either get an HD5xxx or wait for the new nVidia cards if I were buying something new now, just to not regret it in a few months.

The GTS250 is definitely 'capable' at L4D and faster than your current card, but 'smart upgrade' would require the price to be very low.

If I were not just throwing money around (which I do personally actually, not on high end, but when I want something as a nice fit I just buy it, but that's not 'smart'), then get the card, it will be an improvement, but if you want value, I wouldn't.

I would prefer lowering the features/sliders a bit and putting the money towards a newer card/type, even if I wanted nV-only, I'd wait for the new cards.

But that's just my two frames' worth.

You're probably wrong about upgrading the graphics card, L4D2 & L4D are very CPU-intensive, a 4670 can max out the graphics (I know) but when the hordes come the CPU will struggle with the 40+ AI (30 for the horde, 10 for special infected/survivors).

The E6750 is good at 2.66GHz but with a 8800GT on L4D2 it's probably holding you back, for the memory, depends on what back ground tasks/windows version your running.
With Windows Vista SP2, Live Messenger, Steam, EADM, Trend Micro running my system eats 1.9GB.
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2010 6:11:02 AM

I'm not wrong about upgrading the graphics card, since I don't think it will make a huge difference, but it DOES make a difference. I know CPU improvement would help but he already mentioned he was planning on upgrading the CPU as well as the memory and both would, help, heck everything 'helps', but I still wouldn't recommend a GPU upgrade for the candidates he's considering, the boost isn't enough. The E6750 should be good enough, although like the GPU, more can always help, but might/might not be noticed.

If it were only CPU intensive then you wouldn't see the following performance differences, they would be flat. And it's pretty obvious that an HD4670 cannot max out the graphics unless you're on low res (40fps average is not good for an FPS);

Low settings is different.

Heck it has more influence on a game like FartCry or ResEvil;

It benefits from both, and based on the Xbit & Tom's numbers and the big boost of the HD5870 @ high settings versus the small CPU differences at high settings, it's obviously not just cpu limited. But it's not really tough on either, if it were BOTH would scale more.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 17, 2010 7:13:21 AM

What resolution are you using?
The card you are talking about wouldn't be a huge upgrade over what you have. Just overclocking the 8800GT can probably get it close in performance to a GTS 250. The HD5770 is a more worthy upgrade as it is considerably more powerful, power efficient and offers DX11 compatibility.
m
l
January 17, 2010 5:53:19 PM

I think the MAX resolution 1920 X 1200. Looks like crap any other way.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 17, 2010 6:33:32 PM

That's a high resolution. The HD5770 is probably the minimum you should be looking at.
m
l
!