What is wrong with my power supplies/ computers?

CrimeMinister

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I was turning on my computer the other day when I came in to see it had frozen at the boot up screen. I turned it off, and turned it back on when nothing appeared on the screen and it made a high pitched beep and wouldn't boot. It displayed an error code on my motherboard's lcd screen and I looked it up and found out that it was a ram failure.

I went out the next day and bought another stick of RAM, installed it into my computer and nothing happened. I then was told that it may have been a problem with the power supply, so I got a power supply from another computer that I had and plugged everything in, and the fans spun for a second and it made a short beep sound. I thought this might have been a problem because the wattage was too low on this power supply so I went out to buy another one from the store. I plugged this one in and nothing spun up at all. I then tried to put the low wattage power supply back into the original computer and it didn't work in that one either. I also tried the new power supply in that computer and that did nothing either.

I have no idea what is going on with these computers, I tried plugging them into other outlets, and into outlets on different circuits in my house.

So what is going on with these power supplies, and how can I fix them?

Here are the specs for the two computers.

Computer 1 (the original problematic computer):
Core 2 Duo 2.66 ghz
XFX mobo
2 gbs of RAM
8800 gt graphics card
250 watt power supply originally (I know this was too low of wattage)
1.5 tb Harddrive

Computer 2 (the one whose power supply I tried on my original computer)
Celeron 2.66 ghz
1gb RAM
Intel mobo with integrated graphics
250 watt Power Supply
160 Gb harddrive.
Parts I bought
1gb Ram for the original computer
750 watt Corsair Power Supply.