Sign in with
Your question

What is wrong with my power supplies/ computers?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Power Supplies
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2010 3:08:03 AM

I was turning on my computer the other day when I came in to see it had frozen at the boot up screen. I turned it off, and turned it back on when nothing appeared on the screen and it made a high pitched beep and wouldn't boot. It displayed an error code on my motherboard's lcd screen and I looked it up and found out that it was a ram failure.

I went out the next day and bought another stick of RAM, installed it into my computer and nothing happened. I then was told that it may have been a problem with the power supply, so I got a power supply from another computer that I had and plugged everything in, and the fans spun for a second and it made a short beep sound. I thought this might have been a problem because the wattage was too low on this power supply so I went out to buy another one from the store. I plugged this one in and nothing spun up at all. I then tried to put the low wattage power supply back into the original computer and it didn't work in that one either. I also tried the new power supply in that computer and that did nothing either.

I have no idea what is going on with these computers, I tried plugging them into other outlets, and into outlets on different circuits in my house.

So what is going on with these power supplies, and how can I fix them?

Here are the specs for the two computers.

Computer 1 (the original problematic computer):
Core 2 Duo 2.66 ghz
XFX mobo
2 gbs of RAM
8800 gt graphics card
250 watt power supply originally (I know this was too low of wattage)
1.5 tb Harddrive

Computer 2 (the one whose power supply I tried on my original computer)
Celeron 2.66 ghz
1gb RAM
Intel mobo with integrated graphics
250 watt Power Supply
160 Gb harddrive.
Parts I bought
1gb Ram for the original computer
750 watt Corsair Power Supply.

More about : wrong power supplies computers

January 29, 2010 10:12:06 AM

Are you using any voltage protection at all? I'm also thinking that your 750W PSU might actually be ok, but you destroyed some of your parts when you try to ran everything with the 250W unit?
m
l
Related resources
!