Sign in with
Your question

BIOS boot time

Last response: in Motherboards
August 21, 2010 7:09:21 AM

Hi
I am looking for a motherboard with a very fast boot time. I recently got a SSD drive, which decreased the windows 7 boot time to 15 seconds, but the BIOS boot time slows me down a lot. I have an ASUS P5K-Pro (8GB RAM and E8400) that takes 25 seconds from turning on the computer until the windows boot screen appears, a friend of mine has an ASUS P5Q-Pro with a smiliar BIOS boot time. I already switched fast boot on, set the SSD as the primary boot drive and disabled all other SATA ports as well as the floppy drive.

I'm willing to invest into a new processor and RAM if the new motherboard can boot in less than 10 seconds, then adding the 15 seconds for windows (or probably less with the new processor) would bring me to a total sold start boot time of less than 20 seconds.
Is this even gonna be possible? Please tell me if I'm wasting my time looking for such a solution. What do other people have for boot times for only the BIOS?

Thanks for all the ideas in advance.

More about : bios boot time

a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2010 7:34:16 AM

The only thing like that I can think of is AsRock's Instant boot,
not sure if other Mobo manufacturers have anything similar
but the way that works is similar to your pc just being on hibernate or standby as far as I can make out
It is great getting to your desktop 3 seconds after pushing the go button though :) 
Moto
August 22, 2010 7:20:01 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I did some research into the AsRock Motherboards. They have an interesting concept with the instant boot. They achieve those times with a rather simple software trick. When you turn off the computer the software doesn't shut down the machine, but restarts it and goes immediately into hibernation. There are two options, either you go into S3 or S4. The S3 is the fast one, but there you can definitely not take the computer off the power grid. The S4 takes quite a bit longer and I'm not sure if you can disconnect the computer from the power. To eliminate standby consumption I always disconnect the computer from the power, so S3 is for sure no option for me, S4 I need to reaserach more. Anyway, this is more a kind of work around. I would more prefer an option were the real BIOS boot time is really short.

I would be highly interested how long other people have to wait until the BIOS has finished booting and the POST is over.
September 19, 2010 12:14:19 AM

good question i want to know the answer too this too..

i have udrr 920 do stepping, and i want to get a ssd drive, but putting only windows 7 on it, however I need to know whats the fastest booting motherboard
!