Sign in with
Your question

First water cooling rig

Last response: in Overclocking
September 11, 2012 5:35:08 PM

Hey guys, I've been looking through these forums and have been working on my first water cooling build. I still have some questions though. Here is the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/had3

So far, I have these for my cooling loop:

X2O 750 Dual 5.25in. Bay Reservoir Pump

XSPC RayStorm CPU WaterBlock for Intel Sockets 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011

3x XSPC Xinruilian 1650 RPM 120x25 mm - 29 dBA / 65 CFM

What else do I need to get pretty good water cooling for not too much? I know I need tubing, some fittings and coolant. Other than that, what should I be looking for? Who makes good stuff and would this be enough to water cool my CPU and, yes I know this isn't needed, but more just for fun and shits and giggles, RAM? Also, what size tubing am I going to be needing? Thanks for the help! :)  Sorry for being so nooby, first time with this, but it just seems so cool to try.

More about : water cooling rig

a b K Overclocking
September 11, 2012 5:45:05 PM

Well you're still missing a radiator right now. If you're talking about a RAM waterblock, don't bother. All that will do is add extra restriction to your loop and not much in terms of performance gains. For just a 3570k a 240mm radiator is enough. I'd suggest probably an Alphacool Nexxxos UT60, and place it somewhere in the bottom of the case so you can use the extra outlet as a drain valve. You also might want to consider getting a stronger pump if in the long run you plan to put for instance your graphics card under water.
m
l
September 11, 2012 5:54:38 PM

scopey86 said:
Well you're still missing a radiator right now. If you're talking about a RAM waterblock, don't bother. All that will do is add extra restriction to your loop and not much in terms of performance gains. For just a 3570k a 240mm radiator is enough. I'd suggest probably an Alphacool Nexxxos UT60, and place it somewhere in the bottom of the case so you can use the extra outlet as a drain valve. You also might want to consider getting a stronger pump if in the long run you plan to put for instance your graphics card under water.

Oh sorry, forgot to include the radiator, XSPC EX360 Triple 120mm Copper / Brass Radiator. The only reason I say anything about the ram is because I already have the Kingston H2O RAM. Would it just make more sense to get one of their kits?
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 11, 2012 6:00:28 PM

If you want to liquid cool your ram go for it. Just don't expect much in terms of performance boosts and it will add more restriction to your loop. The EX series are really good rads for the price, so you won't be disappointed there. Also like I said earlier definitely consider upgrading to a stronger pump, MCP355/35x or MCP655 so that if you decide to add more in the future you're covered.

Have you got a plan of how your loop will flow and where everything will go in your case?
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
September 11, 2012 6:15:29 PM

Check out the W/c sticky up top for some pointers but yes, an Xspc kit is a decent startpoint,
Would also recommend looking at the upgraded kits that include the D5/Mcp655 pump and the Raystorm Cpu block
Moto
m
l
September 11, 2012 6:38:34 PM

scopey86 said:
If you want to liquid cool your ram go for it. Just don't expect much in terms of performance boosts and it will add more restriction to your loop. The EX series are really good rads for the price, so you won't be disappointed there. Also like I said earlier definitely consider upgrading to a stronger pump, MCP355/35x or MCP655 so that if you decide to add more in the future you're covered.

Have you got a plan of how your loop will flow and where everything will go in your case?

Ok so I think Ill take your advice and not liquid cool the ram. So Im gonna use the CM Storm Stryker and in terms of the flow, I was entirely sure what I should do. What would be the most beneficial way to rig it. Im more of a visual person, so figuring this out has been difficult lol
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
September 11, 2012 7:16:12 PM

Res/pump>Cpu block>Rad, back to res,
Moto
m
l
September 11, 2012 9:32:05 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Res/pump>Cpu block>Rad, back to res,
Moto

Simple enough. Thanks a ton! So this will still allow me to add a water block to my GPU in the future or will I need more besides that water block.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 11, 2012 9:38:25 PM

To add another component to the loop all you'd need is another waterblock, new fittings for that block and tubing. Depending, you may need more radiator space as well in some situations. In your case you're looking to liquid cool (with the GPU) around 270 watts (with an OC on the CPU I'm assuming). The 360mm radiator you've chosen should be able to handle all of that no sweat.
m
l
!