Updated OS to 64bit now ssd almost full

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbbes58017

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Hi,
I recently installed a 120GB Corsair Force Series GT SSD in my laptop and after loading Windows 7 Pro 32bit I decided to upgrade to the 64bit OS. I told it to do a fresh (clean) install but it appears as if it loaded the new OS and still has the 32bit on it. I partitioned the SSD upon the first install & had 2 59GB partitions. The ssd is now showing the c drive as having 10GB space left. Any thoughts on how to clean it up. I've seen a few threads on the issue but none seem to have a clear answer on how to wipe a SSD.

Solution
wiping an SSD is identical to wiping any standard HD. Reinstall windows, do custom install and delete all existing partitions, you don't need to create two partitions especially on a drive as small as 120GB. Then have the windows install choose the RAW space for its install and it will create a small header partition and one main partition for the OS. Once installed you can optimize your Windows 7 space by turning off System Restore, Hibernation and Sleep and if you have 8GB of RAM or more you can also consider turning off the swap file to reclaim the space used on all those options. Good luck
If it were me I'd reinstall Windows again, and during the first part of the installation I'd select the custom (advanced) option to delete and recreate the Windows partition. That will eliminate everything from the drive before starting to install the 64-bit version (caution - it will delete any of your data files from the drive too).

Otherwise, you can look to see if there's a "Windows.Old" folder at the root level of the drive - if so you can try to delete it (but it may be tricky due to security settings and various aliases, etc.)

almyz125

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
If i were you would write a new partition table to the drive. You could use G Parted to do this which runs in Ubuntu Linux. Or you could try using Hirens Boot CD and use one of the many tools on that disk. There is a program call Drive nuke or something similar on HBCD that should completely wipe your drive then after you do that write a new partition table to the drive, be sure to write a MBR partition table if you plan to use Windows.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
wiping an SSD is identical to wiping any standard HD. Reinstall windows, do custom install and delete all existing partitions, you don't need to create two partitions especially on a drive as small as 120GB. Then have the windows install choose the RAW space for its install and it will create a small header partition and one main partition for the OS. Once installed you can optimize your Windows 7 space by turning off System Restore, Hibernation and Sleep and if you have 8GB of RAM or more you can also consider turning off the swap file to reclaim the space used on all those options. Good luck

Solution

hobbbes58017

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Thank you all, I'll try these suggestions over the weekend. I have an Active@killdisc cd & will use that. I had read elsewhere about wiping an ssd & it seamed people were always concerned about loosing performance. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.