My most important hard drive died last night.. Help Needed!

videogamingtown

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
i left my pc on all night last night to do some encoding but when i woke up it was crashed.. Tried to boot into the os but it wouldnt let me so i opened the case to see if something was disconnected and found my hard drive making the most unusual noise ... i can describe it so i uploaded a video to youtube for you guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTQBzbvdXeI

Any chance this can be fixed? i have my os and a lot of important info on it and really need it back :(
(i know i should have backed it up :( but now it might be too late)

any help is appricated

thanks,
Rob

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I don't have a good answer...but that is a horrible sound for a hard drive to make. If the platters are not damaged then you should theoretically be able to get the data back, but I imagine you'll have to take it to a professional.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
judging from your video i'd say that hdd is toast. you can expect to pay hundreds of dollars to have a professional (a real professional, not some geek squad tech guy) attempt to recover data from it, and even then there's no guarantee anything can be recovered.

you're about to learn a very simple lesson a very hard way: backup your data!

videogamingtown

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
after searching desperatly through my other hard drives i found my most important data on one of the other ones :bounce: still disappointed i have lost most of my work but i have the most important stuff back :D

guess im gona have to get a new hard drive :(

this time im setting up backups for every night!

still curious as to why this happened all of a sudden? :S

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

glad to hear you found your most important data elsewhere, and i'm glad you've learnt your lesson and going to start nightly backups.
why did it happen? harddrives are prone to failure, HDDs (and PSUs) are the only parts i replace due to failue (everything else gets replaced due to obsolescence).