Dell Educational Laptop "Specials" - ripoff??

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 31, 2004 3:54:58 PM

Hi,

I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of their
site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For the
hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found the
exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849. Am
I missing something here? I thought we impoverished grad students would get
some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?

Thanks!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 31, 2004 5:22:14 PM

You aren't missing anything. The marketers figure you are a dumb student and
will pay their price. I found that same problem when my youngest started her
freshman year. A Mac powerbook was needed and the IT person at the school
just happened to be the outlet for them. I nosed around and found the same
laptop $800 cheaper with full warranty, support and software package.
;-p

minnehaha <blah@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
> I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of
their
> site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For the
> hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found the
> exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849.
Am
> I missing something here? I thought we impoverished grad students would
get
> some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
> advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 31, 2004 10:21:48 PM

Check out www.techbargains.com every day for a week or two. They list all
the best Dell deals, including rebates and coupons.

";-p" <no_spam_here34474@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> You aren't missing anything. The marketers figure you are a dumb student
and
> will pay their price. I found that same problem when my youngest started
her
> freshman year. A Mac powerbook was needed and the IT person at the school
> just happened to be the outlet for them. I nosed around and found the same
> laptop $800 cheaper with full warranty, support and software package.
> ;-p
>

> minnehaha <blah@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
> > I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of
> their
> > site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For
the
> > hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found
the
> > exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849.
> Am
> > I missing something here? I thought we impoverished grad students would
> get
> > some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
> > advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?
> >
> > Thanks!

a b D Laptop
August 1, 2004 8:13:09 AM

"minnehaha" <blah@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
> I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of
their
> site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For the
> hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found the
> exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849.
Am
> I missing something here? I thought we impoverished grad students would
get
> some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
> advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?
>
> Thanks!

No, You're not missing anything.
The company I work for has an "Employee Purchase Plan" with Dell. You click
a special link on our company web-site, and it takes you to a special area
of Dell, where you must type in the ID and Password. The choices are very
limited, and the prices are higher than just surfing to the regular area of
Dell. They figure that anybody clicking on a link for a special deal won't
know the difference.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 1, 2004 3:09:28 PM

The diffeneces lie on the "base" warrenty. Home comes with 1-year
warrenty, while the educational ones comes with 3-year warrenty w/
complete care & golden support...... There may be some other differences.

Cheers!

!