Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question: Installing Corsair H100 in Obsidian 650D...

Last response: in Overclocking
September 11, 2012 8:26:34 PM

Looking for guidance/answers.

I'm building a new workstation and I'm installing an H100 into the top of an Obsidian 650D case. The motherboard is an ASUS P9X79 WS and I'm thinking (haven't verified yet) that it won't allow for a push/pull fan configuration. If this holds true... what's the next best solution???

I read in the Water Cooling v2.0 sticky that the "ideal" setup would include shrouds between the radiator and the fans...

Quote:
...The shroud in effect elliminates the dead spot located behind the fan motor. I mentioned "Ideal" because not everyone will be working with full tower, goliath cases. Only push or pull with one shroud will still yield good results.

So I'm thinking of going with a push configuration-- blowing the air out of the top of the case (and have the rear fan as an intake)... I was also thinking of replacing the stock fans with a thicker fan-- maybe 38mm???

Would a 38mm fan be typically better than a 25mm fan-- or just depends (just need to look at specific specs for best CFM, rpm, static pressure, etc.)?

What would be the best shroud and push fan (i.e., best fan) configuration?

Thanks!
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 11, 2012 8:56:41 PM

I have 6 of them (2 are 2000rpm, 4 are 3000rpm) and they really aren't that noisy. If you run them on a fan controller, you can control them even more.
m
l
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 12, 2012 2:50:08 AM

If you are considering fans or fans+shrouds, you might instead consider just 2 sets of fans in push/pull instead. Push/Pull fans and shrouds will perform better than just push/pull fans, but you are really starting to get into the realm of a very thick profile by that point.

I'd opt for push/pull fans instead of 1 set of fans and shrouds.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2012 3:33:02 AM

48db! aint that loud?? please mate
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 12, 2012 2:47:41 PM

Loud is really a matter of opinion; similar to what people think of the summer heat- everyone considers the same value differently depending on their senses. So, when I say that my Ultra Kaze's aren't that loud, I truly mean it, but to be honest, I really don't care that my PC makes less sound than your typical desk fan. If you were building a media center/HTPC and needed absolute quiet, I would suggest against them. If you have a ceiling fan, wear headphones or otherwise don't worry too much about noise, have at it.

I also made the comment that I run my Ultra Kaze's from a fan controller which helps even more, but at full speed, I'm not that bothered by them because when they're at 100%, I care more about cooling performance for what I'm doing at the time.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2012 3:20:59 PM

Matter of opinion indeed..

But its a common point that mostly people emphasize on, and thats "stable, calm and cool":)  doesn't matter if you are making one heck of a gaming rig or a media center... The general opinion is applicable to all :) 

With all due respect rubix_1011 (moderator), i don't intend to offend you :) 

Just a matter of opinion keeping in view the general opinion:) 

m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 12, 2012 3:53:32 PM

My role as a moderator shouldn't have any bearing on your response; I just wanted to offer that there are other considerations that cannot necessarily be quantified when suggesting fan noise between different individuals.

There was no offense taken, but my role as a moderator should not be given more respect or less than any other member regardless of their status or title. We're all forum members when it comes down to it. If I'm wrong, I'll admit when I am wrong, but be ready to prove data to backup the claim. Otherwise, it's a showdown of debate. :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2012 4:46:59 PM

Aye Aye sir :p 

and i hope archangel found the answers to his quarries :) 
m
l
September 12, 2012 5:09:00 PM

Not fully... has anyone got experience with these Phobya Shroud & Decouplers I posted previously about?

Quote:
Product Description:
A combined product which reduces noise emission and improves the cooling performance in one!

Phobya once again introduces an innovative product. Both watercooling systems as well as air-coolers can improve the cooling and overall performance with this product: It's ''Fear it!'' for heat and noise!

Cooling performance:
This shroud improves the cooing performance of your fan/radiator combination. Mounted between fan and radiator this shroud allows more even distribution of Airflow which allows a more efficient utilization of the radiator's fin surface. If mounted directly onto radiator a deadspot between the fan motor is developed which reduces the performance. Even multiple of the shrouds can be stacked with longer screws to further increase efficiency and performance. The used material ensures a better seal between fan and radiator which also helps to direct all of the Airflow through the cooling fins.

Noise:
The material, hard rubber with a thickness of7mm, decouples the fan from the radiator. This mounting method is a must especially with fast fans as the emitted vibrations might otherwise cause the whole case to vibrate noisily.

Technical specifications:
Material: Hard rubber
Colour: Black
Designed for 120mm fans
Wall thickness: 7mm
Hole size: 5mm
Extent of delivery:
1x Phobya Shroud & decoupling 120mm (7mm thick)
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 12, 2012 5:39:03 PM

Sounds like the combination of a thin shroud and a fan mount grommet that helps eliminate vibration noise.

If you had some thick sticky foam or other similar material you could make cutouts and make your own.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2012 5:42:17 PM

Why do you inquire about the experience my friend?? :) 

The point is, get the shroud (its pretty inexpensive), mount it and experience the difference yourself..And if it does improves any cooling or reduces the noise, get another shroud..

BOTTOM LINE

So far as the fans are concerned:

-if you are not noise conscious:

Get the Ultra Kraze fans or the delta fans...

-But if you do want a silent workstation of yours:

Get Skythe Gentle Typhoon

Good Luck!

Thumbs up!

Cheers!
m
l
September 12, 2012 5:50:27 PM

muhammadbinmehroze said:
Why do you inquire about the experience my friend?? :) 

The point is, get the shroud (its pretty inexpensive), mount it and experience the difference yourself..And if it does improves any cooling or reduces the noise, get another shroud...

Because, I would rather build/assemble the computer once and not have to tear it down to make changes. Thanks for your input :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2012 5:59:12 PM

Archangel35757 said:
Because, I would rather build/assemble the computer once and not have to tear it down to make changes. Thanks for your input :) 

Installing or removing a shroud isn't much of a hassle, nor it'll tear down a rig :) 

Secondly, we, here at Toms hardware ensure that one must be guided properly :) 

And trust us, we are not gonna give suggestions that'll lead you into trouble :) 

For this you might wanna consider our suggestions that were posted before...
m
l

Best solution

a c 324 K Overclocking
September 12, 2012 6:02:22 PM

This 'shroud/decoupler' isn't going to net you much performance since it's very thick. This will give you a marginal change in dead space over a flush mount fan, but not enough that you'd ever know a difference. You're likely looking at a shroud of at least 15-20mm to start making an impact in reported temps. Otherwise, use the cash you'd spend on non-productive shrouds and run push/pull fans instead...or get better shrouds.
September 20, 2012 3:49:21 AM

rubix_1011 said:
This 'shroud/decoupler' isn't going to net you much performance since it's very thick. This will give you a marginal change in dead space over a flush mount fan, but not enough that you'd ever know a difference. You're likely looking at a shroud of at least 15-20mm to start making an impact in reported temps. Otherwise, use the cash you'd spend on non-productive shrouds and run push/pull fans instead...or get better shrouds.

I found these two test writeups very informative... (and the results agree with your statements):

http://martinsliquidlab.petrastech.com/Radiator-Fan-Orientation-And-Shroud-Testing-Review.html

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/01/15/radiator-shroud-testing-v2/
m
l
September 20, 2012 3:49:46 AM

Best answer selected by Archangel35757.
m
l
!