I`m a semi-professional gamer ( recently got involved with a sponsored team) who needs your help! I`m trying to maximize and optimize my gaming experience and this is why I need help! I know a little bit about optimizing my pc (organize your folders, shut down unnecessary programs, defrag etc. ) but i`m a newbie when it comes to the more complex details like overclocking. So i`ll write the parts I need guiding and the parts I know something about. Would be happy if you give some of your time to help me if you are able to!
Note: If you detect any important areas I didn`t write or skip; please feel free to give your comments. I`ll be constantly editing this post; adding things you asked.
What are my goals?
1) To play DotA 2 at max settings, 1920x1080p at a constant 60 fps
2) To overclock my hardware to its highest acceptable levels. I use my PC mainly for gaming and watching movie/anime. I think I can overclock it to high levels because I don’t use any extreme programs ( say like photoshop, 3dmax ). I`m not against benchmarking but I don`t think i`ll need a 24/48 hours passmark/furmark stable build because like I said I don`t do anything extreme with my PC; the most extreme thing I do is like playing games for 8 – 14 hours a day. PC can be open for 1-2 days in some rare cases but even then it`ll be probably for downloading stuff.
3) To use my system ( Win 7 64 Ulti) to its best.
What are my resources?
Good Internet skills. Able to find and use most programs.
Good IQ =)
Can`t buy anything new over my given specs. Gonna use my money for better keyboard / mouse.
Standart cooling stuff. * Explained in ``Case`` section.
What do I need ? / *What is my knowledge level?
1)Tips on optimizing the Windows and system care. Which softwares to use? How frequently?
* General stuff. Used C-Cleaner, Advanced System Optimizer and a DeFragment tool (don’t remember the name). I keep my folders and drives organized.
2)Overclocking guide, Hardware related stuff. Which BIOS settings to use? How to Overclock CPU, RAM and GPU? How to determine how much overclocking I need?
*I have basic knowledge about overclocking; used MSI Afterburner for mildly overclocking my GPU. Can`t say same about CPU and RAM.
What is my System Spec? / *How i`m using them?
1) Case: A big CoolerMaster case; can`t say the model though it has 1 extra fan inside and its` sides are partially wired ( the case is not entirely closed is what i`m trying to say lol ). It is a bit better than most average cases when it comes to temperature.
*I re-organized the cables inside it amateurly but I suppose the fans are blowing a bit less interrupted than before. The room I`m using my case is at normal room temperature ( thought this might help you about overclocking advices).
2) OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit with latest Updates.
*Currently optimized with Advanced System Optimizer and several Cleaner programs. No background, no unnecessary things. Going to do a last format after I got the other things optimized.
Motherboard = X38-DQ6
*Not doing anything special on it. Don`t know very much about BIOS settings like C.I.A 2, Performance Enchant, Robust Graphics Booster etc.
CPU = Intel Core 2 Quad 6600
*At standart levels.
RAM = 2 x [ (2 x 2 gb KHX 6400 D2K2-4G DDR2) ] Total of 8 gb
*At standart levels.
GPU = ASUS GTX 570 Direct CU II ( have two fans and factory
overclocked; a bit higher model than the other 570`s)
* At 975 voltage, 822 core clock mhz, 1644 shader clock mhz, 1979 memory clock mhz via MSI afterburner program.
Hard Disks = WDC WD 10EARS-00Y5B1 SCSI ( 1 TB, SATA 2, 5400 RPM 64 mb buffer size) and ST3250410AS SCSI ( 250 gb, SATA 2, 7200 RPM, 16 mb buffer size)
*They are connected to the GSATA sockets on MB. 1 TB hd has two partitions; a 100 gb part used for Windows and all of my programs ( it is never exceeding %70 space) and a 900 gb part which is used for STEAM, other games and game archives. The other hard disk ( 250 gb ) is only used for archives; my animes, movies, game archives and program installations stays in there ( I never install anything in here just archives) !NOTE!: 1 TB is the slave of the 250 gb although I don`t know and didn`t do anything about jumper settings. Don’t know if this is important.
Monitor = Samsung S23B550V ( 23 inch, widescreen, 1920x1080 resolution, 60 hz)
* Always at 1920x1080p at 60 hz.
Other Stuff = Default fans (don’t have any extra cooling stuff), basic Keyboard + Mouse, basic Headphones etc.
* Fans are working %60 - %95 via 3rd programs. Keyboard, mouse, headphones = nothing special.
How to help me?
1) You can give a few good optimizing program names for Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate. You can say which areas I can optimize.
2) I need specifics on overclocking. I don`t need links to OC guides, I can find them my own too. I need precise helping for my own spec with how to`s. Don`t do `` go for xxx mhz you can do it`` on me; I don`t exactly know how to! I hope i`m not being too much cocky but sometimes posts can be perfunctory or like explaining to an idiot. Just explain to me my overclocking levels and how to/where to do them; and i`ll do them. If I can`t i`ll read and investigate more!