Dell Motherboard drivers for new HDD and OS

elecstrk

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I have a Dell inspiron 530 that i have been upgrading. I added a new hard drive and installed windows 7 64 bit, my original hard drive is still in as well running windows vista but isn't the drive that comp boots from on start up. Since i put everything together i have had a few minor issues and I'm being told that the problem could be that I didn't install the motherboard package on the new HDD. I've been to the dell website but they don't seem to have anything for windows 7 & inspiron 530 that seems to fit the bill. Is there anywhere else i could look or perhaps any generic drivers or something i can download?

Would it be best for me to get a new mobo?

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.40GHz 34 °C
Conroe 65nm Technology
RAM
6.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0RY007 (Socket 775)
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0RY007
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model P35/G33/G31
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801IR (ICH9R)
Southbridge Revision 02
BIOS
Brand Dell Inc.
Version 1.0.18
Date 02/24/2009
Graphics
DELL ST2010 @ 1600x900
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Hard Drives
977GB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (IDE) 33 °C
244GB Seagate ST3250310AS ATA Device (Unknown Interface) 39 °C

I would look at the newegg open box boards. They have some g31 and g41 for $40 or less shipped, but you may not get the backplate or drivers with them. Some brand new go for around $50. But windows 7 should find all the drivers for these boards. Just stick with micro atx format, and check your dell power supply for the standard connectors. You can also click on newegg's manufacturer's link to check for windows 64 drivers. Never changed out a board? Then read some faqs before deciding if it's worth it. These boards will work with old 20 pin atx power supplies if your current ps has it, and they only fit one way.

elecstrk

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Wait wait wait...
Before you run out and get a new motherboard and you seem to be able to open your case, keep troubleshooting.
Install motherboard package on new HDD.? Who told you that.? Wow crazy to be honest.
First check and try a few things. Try just having the Win7 drive in only and see if it boots.
Check BIOS settings and verify primary boot drive order, SATA 0, SATA 1, etc. Even physically trace the cabling in the case from drive to connector.
What did you do, were you running WinVista and then installed Win7 on the second HDD you just added.?
I personally never tried that before, I always partitioned my primary drive for dual boot and just added second HDD for space.

A friend of mine who claims to know something about comps told me i needed to install the mobo drivers, I am in fact barely computer literate so when he said i needed it i listened. My original HDD is only 250 gig and I felt like upping it as well as moving from the vista 32 bit to a 64 (win7), plus it was almost full. The new HDD boots fine and seemingly runs fine, I keep both so i have a standby should something go wrong.

elecstrk

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010

i have an upgraded power supply so aslong as i get the proper socket type i should be ok i think. does the motherboard control my ram speed? mine seems lower then they should be.

All boards list the supported ram speed for the motherboard chipset. Some with higher than spec will say when (o.c.) meaning you have to overclock the cpu to run at the higher speed. Cpuz will give the ram speed as half the actual (400 for pc6400, for example)