Sign in with
Your question
Solved

X16 PCI e card to PCI slot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2010 2:57:34 AM

I have a dell dimension e310 system and i did not know that i bought a x16 PCIe video card and tv tuner in one. Is there a way or any kind of converter i can use to solve this problem?

More about : x16 pci card pci slot

January 17, 2010 7:43:55 AM

You will need to rephrase your question. I don't know what you are actually asking.
m
l

Best solution

January 17, 2010 11:47:34 AM

I don't believe it's possible. You'll need to return the card and find one that is compatible with the slots on your PC. That may limit your options, but you did that already by buying a Dell.
Related resources
January 17, 2010 3:41:42 PM

rodney_ws said:
I don't believe it's possible. You'll need to return the card and find one that is compatible with the slots on your PC. That may limit your options, but you did that already by buying a Dell.

meaning buying a dell limits your freedom in nupgrading video cards etc. i have a follow up question. i understand now that there is no way i can use this card with the slot i have on my board.what if i change the slot to a x16 slot? i mean take out the pci slot only and replace with a x16 pcie slot. are the pins that you will solder are the same? please help
m
l
January 17, 2010 3:52:29 PM

mikki1020 said:
meaning buying a dell limits your freedom in nupgrading video cards etc. i have a follow up question. i understand now that there is no way i can use this card with the slot i have on my board.what if i change the slot to a x16 slot? i mean take out the pci slot only and replace with a x16 pcie slot. are the pins that you will solder are the same? please help

It's not a problem of buying a dell in this case. It is just an older computer. Technology is always changing.
m
l
January 17, 2010 3:54:13 PM

Your Dellâ„¢ computer provides the following slots for PCI and PCI Express cards:

* Two PCI card slots

* One PCI Express x1 card slot

You have to choose a video card that will work in one of those two slots or consider replacing the motherboard.
m
l
January 17, 2010 4:06:20 PM

rodney_ws said:
Your Dellâ„¢ computer provides the following slots for PCI and PCI Express cards:

* Two PCI card slots

* One PCI Express x1 card slot

You have to choose a video card that will work in one of those two slots or consider replacing the motherboard.

I guess i have to just get another card then. i should have bought an HP instead so I can have more options. What links do you recommend to get PCI video and tv tuner in one cards thats maybe under $60?
m
l
January 17, 2010 10:02:56 PM

I think i already bought that one before but i returned it since i need a card which serves both a tv tuner and a video card
m
l
January 17, 2010 10:04:05 PM

anyway, since i got this card already, i probably would look for a motherboard that fits in the casing of my dell dimension e310. any suggestions?
m
l
January 18, 2010 12:40:25 AM

someone recommends a usb tv tuner instead. what do you think?
m
l
January 18, 2010 5:10:29 AM

USB tuner cards work fine, just a bit of channel lag, but as long as you're not gaming on it, ie trying to watch and Xbox or something, the it will be fine. I've had a few of them from various mfrs, and they work no major problem.

m
l
January 18, 2010 4:26:13 PM

A motherboard swap would be a last-resort scenario... buy another card... get an external one like TheGreatGrapeApe suggests... replace the motherboard only if all other solutions aren't viable for you.
m
l
!