Solved

Best Single graphics card under $260

What is the best graphics card I can get with around 260 bucks???
Its for a gaming PC. I don't need to worry about the power supply or MOBO.

I was considering a GTX 260, HD5770 or HD4890.
Thanks for any help.
34 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about best single graphics card
  1. hd 4890 for $200 and in 2 weeks a 5830 which is supposed to replace it.
    nothing realy between $200 and $300 (hd 5850) that is a single card.
  2. for now, i would say get 5770 and u can add it another one later for Crossfire... :)
    what resolution do u play?
  3. ^+1 for the 5770
  4. Yeah the cards you are looking at are about between $100-180. The 4770 is low. I don't even know why you're looking at that. the 5770 compares to the 4870 which compares to the GTX260.
    Anyway yeah look at the 5830, 4890 abouts $200.
    For a lower pricepoint the 4850 ($130) is a decent performer as is the 4870.
  5. Well, if you can stretch the budget a bit, a 5850 can be had for $290 or so.
  6. Can't go wrong with the 4890. The price margin between it and the 4870 is incredibly small. The 4890 performs great with most games on the market right now (Crysis is the only game so far not pushing a steading 60FPS at full settings.) But Modern Warfare 2 looked amazing!
  7. Go for 5770

    Later, Arrange some more money to buy another one and CrossFire them.

    You will get performance ahead of 5850 and close to 5870.
    (As the benchmarks say)


    GOOD LUCK
  8. I play at just 1280x1024, but I want a card that could play most games at Max AA and AF, at that res with around 60fps. I don't care about DX11 or 10. It doesn't matter to me, cuz DX11 games are not very popular right now....
  9. enzo matrix said:
    Yeah the cards you are looking at are about between $100-180. The 4770 is low. I don't even know why you're looking at that. the 5770 compares to the 4870 which compares to the GTX260.
    Anyway yeah look at the 5830, 4890 abouts $200.
    For a lower pricepoint the 4850 ($130) is a decent performer as is the 4870.



    I mean the 4890...I got confused
  10. cjl said:
    Well, if you can stretch the budget a bit, a 5850 can be had for $290 or so.


    Really? Not over here.....there is a POWER COLOR ATi RADEON HD5850 1GB DDR5 256Bit HDMI for 400 bucks.....that's the cheapest one available over here! :cry:
  11. If 1280x1024 is your desired resolution.


    SAVE YOUR MONEY

    Go for GTS 250 or RADEON 5750.

    Both are less than $140.


    Seriously, SAVE YOUR MONEY for something else.
  12. Yeah, don't consider anything more than the HD5770 for that resolution. Honestly even that card is massive overkill for that resolution but it will serve you well for a while and also if you upgrade your monitor.
    If you want something better someday you can always add another in crossfire if your motherboard allows for it as other people have said. Two in crossfire should give you performance similar to an HD5870.
  13. mfarrukh said:
    If 1280x1024 is your desired resolution.


    SAVE YOUR MONEY

    Go for GTS 250 or RADEON 5750.

    Both are less than $140.


    Seriously, SAVE YOUR MONEY for something else.


    Well,
    Crysis 2+DirectX 11+Max Settings+1280x1024=Framerate of probably less than 15FPS...

    I am happy with 1280x1024, but I could take on a higher res...I just need a framerate of over 60 for games made in the future....something that will last for around 3-5 years before I upgrade. I want a smooth gameplay over good graphics, but prefer both.

    And here, I have to pay $260 for a freggin' 5770...so I don't really get to save money any way.
    Makes me sad!
  14. Then again, Go for a 5770

    Somewhere after a year or so add another
    and you will get performance close to 5870
  15. Go for hd 5850 if you extend your pocket a bit or go for hd 5770 its still a better choice.
  16. Quote:
    HD 5770 crossfire actually beats the HD 5870.


    What the.... :pfff:

    CF HD 5770s have a hard time beating a single 5850. yet alone a 5870.

    yes in Some games, the 5850 is beaten by a CF 5770 but most games tell a different story.


    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446.html
  17. Quote:
    I would go for HD 4890!

    Why are you so excited by the 4890?
  18. I just found out that a 5770 has a 128bit bus width??? Is this true?
  19. devinb said:
    I just found out that a 5770 has a 128bit bus width??? Is this true?


    that's right... :)
  20. The HD5770 has a 128 bit bus but it also uses DDR5 ram which actually gives it slightly higher memory bandwidth than 256 bit + DDR3.
  21. warmon6 said:
    What the.... :pfff:

    CF HD 5770s have a hard time beating a single 5850. yet alone a 5870.

    yes in Some games, the 5850 is beaten by a CF 5770 but most games tell a different story.


    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446.html

    What are you talking about? Did you even look at the article you linked? The crossfired HD5770s beat the HD5850 in every game in that article except for 1(Crysis and that's surely due to driver issues.) Here is a much better article about crossfired HD5750/70s vs HD5850/70;
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5770-hd5750-crossfirex.html
  22. Quote:
    yeah and thats why you should not buy it. 128 bit is not even enough for a 512MB GPU.


    Quote:
    yeah but in my opinion its realy stupid to make a new 2009 GPU with 128bit bus... Why not just 256?

    Because it is more expensive to manufacture. You should really hold your opinion when don't know what you are talking about. The memory bus is the interface between each memory chip and the GPU. Saying "128 bit is not even enough for a 512MB GPU" is meaningless and shows no understanding of the topic.
  23. Dude, it's about overall performance and price no matter what year it is, not one specific aspect of the card that feeds into that equation.
  24. Quote:
    yeah and thats why you should not buy it. 128 bit is not even enough for a 512MB GPU.


    Again you show how little you know of PC hardware !!

    By using faster DDR5 RAM chips in combination with that 128bit bus the overall memory bandwidth is more than a DDR3 based card with a 256 bit bus !! When dealing with performance it is a combination of the various parts that yeilds the performance and you can not take an individual part and tell whether the overall performance is good or not as that is just a piece of the puzzle !!
  25. Quote:
    Dude I dont know but I dont think it would have been more than 20 bucks more expensive with 256 bus. Srsly. It needs it. It would get far better performence. And if they want to keep the price low. They can just lower the clocks and boom. Same price. And equal performence.

    How would lowering the clocks make the card cost less to make...? Also at the resolutions this guy is talking about increased memory bandwidth should have almost no effect on performance at all. Seriously, you should stick with what you know or better yet spend your time reading and learning rather than spreading uninformed opinions on forums.
  26. well for one puting the smaller 128 bus offsets the faster DDR5 so they come out even with 256 bus DDR3. also puting that smaller bus there purposefully limits the 5770 from being overclockable. so the 5770 stays a 5770 and dose not become say a 5830. :)
  27. The smaller bus doesn't limit the card from being overclockable. The memory can be overclocked as well and actually tends to get a better overclock than the GPU from what I've read. That should help mitigate the memory limitations rather than compounding it.
  28. +1 for the 5770. Have one and it works great on every game I throw at it.
  29. jyjjy said:
    The smaller bus doesn't limit the card from being overclockable. The memory can be overclocked as well and actually tends to get a better overclock than the GPU from what I've read. That should help mitigate the memory limitations rather than compounding it.


    I get what you are saying, but, I seem to be wizzed that the bus width is only 128-bit.
    Which card is the next best one after the 5770 that has a 256-bit DDR5 bus? The 5850?
  30. HD4890, seriously though, any of these cards are massive overkill for your resolution. You should really be looking for cards weaker than the HD5770, not stronger. Consider it the maximum you should spend/consider.
  31. jyjjy said:
    HD4890, seriously though, any of these cards are massive overkill for your resolution. You should really be looking for cards weaker than the HD5770, not stronger. Consider it the maximum you should spend/consider.


    That's true, but I can also play at 1920x1200 with another monitor at home, but I am considering getting a card that will last 5-7 years. I might even get a new monitor then, who knows? But it should last for long. And I have only one shot to buy a new gpu now, or it will be too late.I was thinking of buying an overkill so that I won't need to worry about the future.
  32. Best answer
    You can keep dreaming if you want a card that will be good for gaming for 5-7 years. For something that may still be pretty good 3 years from now go for an HD5850 but that card is a down right criminal waste of money for 1280x1024 so definitely get a much better monitor if you go for that. A better monitor is a good idea in any case. A decent 23-24" inch 1920x1080 monitor makes a world of difference comparatively when it comes to gaming .
  33. jyjjy said:
    You can keep dreaming if you want a card that will be good for gaming for 5-7 years. For something that may still be pretty good 3 years from now go for an HD5850 but that card is a down right criminal waste of money for 1280x1024 so definitely get a much better monitor if you go for that. A better monitor is a good idea in any case. A decent 23-24" inch 1920x1080 monitor makes a world of difference comparatively when it comes to gaming .


    ya. i know it will be no good for 7years :sol: :D , but 3-5 years is fine....my current monitor lets me go till 1680x1050. I have a 20" as well. But I think a 5850 is fine. Thanks
  34. Quote:
    Dude I dont know but I dont think it would have been more than 20 bucks more expensive with 256 bus. Srsly. It needs it. It would get far better performence. And if they want to keep the price low. They can just lower the clocks and boom. Same price. And equal performence.


    ...lowering the clocks doesn't reduce the price as far as the manufacturer is concerned... they lower the clock speeds on cores that come off the assembly line as less efficient, and sell them for less because they are worth less. but they are actually the same core.

    You know nothing.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gaming Power Supplies Graphics