Sign in with
Your question

CPU cooler choice

Last response: in CPUs
March 29, 2010 8:22:27 AM

I wanted to get a upgraded CPU cooler (Phenom II x3 720) for my recent build but I thought I would wait to see what size would fit.
Photo here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282929-31-sata-buildi...

The problem is, is that with the corsair dominator ram, with the heatsinks it has, and other surrounding components, I cannot find a suitable cooler that would fit. There is a maximum of about 140mm in height but the width is very small. So I started looking at smaller low profile coolers (I mean almost stock size).
Here is a photo of the area for the heatsink:

I was looking at these ones here.
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemI...

Would this provide better cooling or atleast the same amount of cooling with less noise?
I do want to eventually upgrade to the best phenom II x4 CPU so would this do? I will not be overcloking with this unless it allows for a mild O/C.

Thanks

P.S. If you want to reccomend another cooler please see if the are on the site above or Paradigm PC in New Zealand.

More about : cpu cooler choice

a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 9:55:55 AM

Hello hamiac.

The Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 Pro is a decent cooler, but not worth it imo. I think the stock cooler does better, although being louder.
A relatively small cooler which looks like it would fit on your motherboard would be the Scythe Katana III - relatively quiet, and does the job.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article957-page3.html - at the bottom of the page there is the picture of it being mounted, and it looks like there's a lot of clearance. Apparently it's mounted the same way the stock cooler is - so no worries about any problems installing it.

Here's the link on Ascent:
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemI...

or, the one on Paradigm PCs:
http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA19057

I'd suggest getting it from Paradigm PCs, I bought my EVGA X58 SLI LE off them, quick and free delivery. Have you traded with Ascent before, and are they good?

a c 158 à CPUs
March 29, 2010 3:02:10 PM

Hi.

I think that you can go for the Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus. See here or HERE. This is a very good cooler and have a good relation price/performance. Currently I have one with my rig.

I think that we have a similar case, so, you can see HERE my installation of that cooler and get an idea.
Related resources
March 30, 2010 3:51:55 AM

Lmeow said:
Hello hamiac.

I'd suggest getting it from Paradigm PCs, I bought my EVGA X58 SLI LE off them, quick and free delivery. Have you traded with Ascent before, and are they good?

Thanks for the answers. I bought all the parts for my computer off ascent and were really good to deal with, and very fast delivery. Though paradigm are generally cheaper, but I dont like navigating there site as much as ascent.

I will check out those coolers tonight. I think the hyper is too big because I was also wanting to face the fan upward instead of to the back.

Oh, I was also looking at getting the corsair h?50 small water cooler. I still want too keep my two exaust fans, so was thinking I could mount it on the side vent of my gladiator 600 - It would mean however I would have to remove the radiator to completly reomve the side panel... hmmm :( 
March 30, 2010 2:05:44 PM

saint19 said:
Hi.

I think that you can go for the Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus. See here or HERE. This is a very good cooler and have a good relation price/performance. Currently I have one with my rig.

I think that we have a similar case, so, you can see HERE my installation of that cooler and get an idea.

I have this one. It's awesome. Definitely reduced my core temps and is great for overclocking. And, it's not expensive!

March 31, 2010 12:31:38 AM

Hmm, yea. The Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus is a little too high for my case

a c 158 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 1:44:19 AM

^What case do you have?. Take a look of the other two links, I think that both fit on your case.
March 31, 2010 3:35:57 AM

I have a gladiator 600. I cant fit anything higher than 500mm. The hyper 101 looks ok, but I might go for artic cooling freezer 64 pro. I cant fit anything wider or longer than 100mm either.
March 31, 2010 3:45:53 AM

I am looking at the Artic cooling freezer 64 pro PWM but also see the freezer 7 pro.
Which is best?

The only difference I can see if that the 7 has a possibly smaller fan that has a 5cmf increase over the 64 but is also louder. Confused?
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2010 5:20:37 AM

hamiac said:
I have a gladiator 600. I cant fit anything higher than 500mm. The hyper 101 looks ok, but I might go for artic cooling freezer 64 pro. I cant fit anything wider or longer than 100mm either.

both are superb coolers for dual core CPU's. For tri's and quads you need more heatpipes, or shall I say "real pipes". If you cannot fit anything wider than 100mm then you are stuck because the CPU's fan needs to be at least 120mm.

Message edited :

you need something like this :

GeminII S

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the reason i would opt for something other than the 7 or the 64 is the price, for the same price you can get something much better.
April 1, 2010 9:14:27 AM

the GeminII S is a bit too big for my mobo.
So basicly I put it down to the arctic cooling freezer 7/64 pro or the corsair h50...

...because I need a cooler that is compact but powerful, the h50 being better, just much more expensive. Keep those factors in mind when recomending any coolers - no higher that 155mm and no wider than 110mm

thanks for you answers
April 1, 2010 9:35:11 AM

I am sorry, I am really know little about the computer knowlege.
Is the CPU cooler is a fan only? Or it is something else?
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2010 3:45:28 PM

hamiac said:
So basicly I put it down to the arctic cooling freezer 7/64 pro or the corsair h50...

...because I need a cooler that is compact but powerful, the h50 being better, just much more expensive. Keep those factors in mind when recomending any coolers - no higher that 155mm and no wider than 110mm

thanks for you answers

Hey buddy just a heads up, I think you are misunderstanding the fact that you do not measure the area of the CPU to get the actual dimensions needed for a CPU cooler, you are stating that you cannot install anything wider than 100m when in fact the cooler's fins will not touch the heatsinks regardless, the fins will be higher than the actual sinks on your board. Here is an example.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/255717-29-sunbeam-asu...

you can fit a CCF if you wanted ;) 

aftermarket "tower" coolers normally interfere with ram slots, not with the actual board heatsinks.

As you can see in the pic, you will have enough clearance so don't hesitate to get a CCF/212+ or any other tower cooler you have in mind.

a c 158 à CPUs
April 1, 2010 7:19:04 PM

hamiac said:

thanks for you answers

Come on men, the H50 is a junk in cooling. Now, the GeminII S is 124x118x62, that is less that your max dimension, even the hyper 101 is 83x68x117 that also fit in your case.
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2010 7:40:31 PM

The OP has to understand that a 212+ or equivalent will not rub on the mobo heatsinks. The NB is the tallest sink on that EVO, so if a Tuniq Extreme fits flush then ANY cooler will fit as well.

this is by far one of the biggest CPU coolers out.
April 1, 2010 8:12:30 PM

The thing is my ram is even higher than that, and I measured the distance before it covers my ram slots and that is why it cant be any bigger than 100mm in that direction. Is the hyper 101 any good with only 2 heatpipes (or 4 you could say). I have looked at the reviews of the h50 and when set up correctly it preforms just as good as a good air cooler, and I think it would be well suited to my case.
a c 158 à CPUs
April 1, 2010 8:23:08 PM

^Ok. What RAM do you have?

If you see, the hyper 101 or hyper 212+, can be installed in two directions.Take a look of THIS and you can see that you hve two options for install the cooler.
April 1, 2010 8:27:27 PM

saint19 said:
^Ok. What RAM do you have?

I currently have two sticks of corsair dominator ram with the heatsink fins on top. Eventually going to fill it all up with them
a c 158 à CPUs
April 1, 2010 8:32:20 PM

^You can uninstall the cooler of the corsair. You won't see any change with it installed or not, and go for the Hyper 212+.
April 1, 2010 8:41:26 PM

saint19 said:
^You can uninstall the cooler of the corsair. You won't see any change with it installed or not, and go for the Hyper 212+.

Hyper 212+ is too high though.Hmmmm

Get back to you later, installing 7 on mew computer and trasfering stuff from this old thing.
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2010 8:49:04 PM

hamiac said:
Hyper 212+ is too high though.Hmmmm

Get back to you later, installing 7 on mew computer and trasfering stuff from this old thing.

To high for what??

I have a cooler that is bigger than most and a board that is similar to yours as far as overall dimensions and had 0 problems with the installation. The only way it would interfere with your RAM is if you have all 4 slots occupied. If you are only using 2 sticks you need to move them to the far right and you will be more than fine, trust ME :D 

Take a look, maybe this way you will get the idea :

a c 158 à CPUs
April 1, 2010 8:50:19 PM

^Ohhh... great mobo men. Do you plan upgrade for the Crosshair IV?
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2010 8:53:29 PM

saint19 said:
^Ohhh... great mobo men. Do you plan upgrade for the Crosshair IV?

Not really, I dont need more than 2 PCI-E slots ;) 

a c 158 à CPUs
April 1, 2010 8:58:00 PM

^How can I buy a mobo from Republic of gamers?
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2010 9:02:43 PM

saint19 said:
^How can I buy a mobo from Republic of gamers?

You can view them here :

http://rog.asus.com/

as far as purchasing one, well since you in Colombia you would have to look for a retailer.
a c 158 à CPUs
April 1, 2010 9:11:45 PM

^A friend live in the US, he can buy it for me and send it to my country.
April 2, 2010 1:28:42 AM

too high for my case, it can only fit a maximum of 155mm in height.

I feel like i'm repeating myself here :pt1cable: 
a c 158 à CPUs
April 2, 2010 1:43:39 AM

Go for the Hyper 101.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2010 4:31:23 AM

hamiac said:
too high for my case, it can only fit a maximum of 155mm in height.

I feel like i'm repeating myself here :pt1cable: 

Its not too high, you measured wrong. The width of your case is 202mm, taking into consideration that you need to subtract the space between the mobo tray and the actual mobo we can safely assume that you have around 180mm to play with and that is being generous. Here is a pic of your case with a Hyper N520.

My case is 2mm wider than yours and my CPU cooler still has about 10mm of clearance before it hits the side panel.
a c 158 à CPUs
April 2, 2010 4:51:27 AM

I have a Thermaltake V9 (431.0 x 191.0 x 470.0 mm H*W*D) and the Hyper 212+ fit perfectly in my case.

Which are the dimensions of your case?
April 3, 2010 1:21:38 AM

Wow! so is that Hyper N520 the same height as a hyper 212+?

That would be great it it could fit! I'll pull it out tomorrow and re measure.

Oh, and I just ran prime95 for only about 10 minutes and with the stock cooler it got to 52 degrees C. Is that good? seems a little high maybe. I did clean off all the stock thermal pad and replaced it with MX-2
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2010 3:27:23 AM

Have you even read what we have posted above?

You case is wider than Saint's and he has a 212+.
!