212 Evo Installation

miketen587

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
So I'm going to pick up my 212 evo sometime this week and get to overclocking my new 3570k.

I am a bit confused with some of the things I've been reading regarding the installation of it though. I've seen some people saying that they've had to actually take out their mobo to install it. Is this typically the case? I was under the assumption that I'd be able to just easily install it in like 5 minutes with only having to take out my GPU to make some space to work with.

I've looked for videos of somebody installing one but can't really find any good ones. Does anybody know of any?

My Mobo is an Asus P8z77-V lx.

Whether or not you have to take your MB out will depend on your case. If you have enough room to work and the motherboard tray has a good size hole in it where the cpu is so you can get at the screws for the heatsink bracket then you can install it without taking the MB out of the case. I would think that you should be able to do it without taking the MB out of the case.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
The 212 requires the mounting of a metal back plate for support.

Of the cases I have worked on, the hole(s) in the different tray(s) have been sufficient to mount a back plate for Intel but not AMD.

For Intel, the plate spans left to right. For AMD, the plate spans top to bottom. (And it's the top holes that were a PITA for AMD boards)

(This is assuming you have an hole at all for this in your case)

miketen587

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Ok so this is kind of a noobish question I know...but does the back plate provided with the 212 install right over my stock back plate? Or do I need to remove the stock back plate first?

If I need to remove it, what would be the best way to go about taking it off? It doesn't seem to be screwed in or anything...its just on there. Can I simply just rip it off?

miketen587

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Ok so I got it all installed and have one more question...

Should my heat sink be horizontal or vertical? I've seen pictures of people with them both ways. Does it make a difference? or is it purely just whichever way it will fit better?

Currently mine is sitting horizontal with the fan attached to the top of it

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Airflow is the primary concern.

You want cool air in, hot air out and you want the the fans to work together.

Most cases have a fan at the back so having the212 fan move air toward the rear fan helps move the air along and get it out of the case. If you have fans on the top of your case to pull air away from your 212 fan facing up, that will work too.

miketen587

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
I have a fan at the back of my case, and a fan at the top. The fan at the top isn't exactly in line with the fan attached to the heatsink however...which is why I'm thinking turning the heatsink around to have the fan face the fan in the back is probably my best bet