Upgrading laptop hdd.Compatability, ie w/3gb/s vs 6gb/s transfer....

bleu5

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
rate useability...

Hi, I have a 320gb, 300gb shows, hdd 5400rpm 7mmH/9.5mmH, (2.5"?), SATA HDD, compatable hdd/sssd. Pretty sure it's 3gb/s transfer rate, & prob. 8mb cache. I was recently told it was compatable with:
"Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 32 MB Cache 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST750LX003"
Some guy selling it on ebay said....
said that my system wouldn't be able to take advantage of the increased transfer rate, ie 6gb/s. This is seemingly contradictory to Seagate presales. They said," completely compatable. ??????? Having a hard time coming up with.

Ebay seller, said storage hdd/ssd profession... What he said doesn't make sence..., The 3gb/s or 6gb/s is just the capability of the hdd/ssd.

-my laptop 2.66>2,93gh.z 4gb ram should easily be able to push the load. ???? or at least i thought. anyone know anything about this & compatability "issues" or possible issues? Thanks Bleu5

bleu5

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
??? would i get more speed out of a 6gb/s hdd, ssd, or hybrid drive from my laptop that came with the 300gb hdd, 5400rpm, 3gb/s, 2.5", 8 or maybe 16mb cache.

would i be getting anything out of spending extra money on a faster hdd/ssd drive? or am i limited by my laptop somehow? looking at hybrid w/ 6gb/s, more than 7200rpm 32mb cache....if not then a hdd w/ 7200rpm 16mb cache......that is if my laptop can't surpass 3gb/s transfer rate...albeit that the hybrid may still be worth while even if i can't pass 3gb/s b/c of other preformance+'s w/it. thanks Bleu...

bleu5

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Also how/where can i get info on my laptop's specs, it's capability to do what you're talking about, gb/s transfer rate, "sata mechanism" ie is it 3gbs faster/slower??? Samsung contract's out seagate for hdd tech support, seagate, said they didn't know! i'll try seagate again. thanks bleu...

SSD and you surely will see an increase mechanical drive not so noticeable since they do not even max out the 300MB/s (SATA 3GB) transfer rate regardless of if they are SATA 6GB.
If your laptop shipped with SATA 3GB then most likely it is what your controller is.