Sign in with
Your question

Case Mod Project: "BIG-BANG" FUZION

Last response: in Components
March 29, 2010 2:54:11 PM

MSI will be using this PC for demonstrating their new Big-Bang Fuzion Motherboard at trade shows this year.

My canvas will be NZXT Adamas aluminum mid-tower case. Currently at Newegg for $169.99

Motherboard Compatibility ATX, Micro-ATX
External 5.25" Drive Bays 4
External 3.5" Drive Bays 1
Internal 3.5" Drive Bays 5
Expansion Slots 7
Front Ports 2 x USB2.0, 2 x Audio, 1 x IEEE1394
Ac'97 and Intel HD audio support for 5.1 and 7.1 audio
Dimensions (L x W x H) 19.29" x 7.48" x 17.13"
Extra reinforced structure using welding technology
3mm top and bottom aluminum frame
2mm aluminum construction
Patented screw-less side and front panel removal mechanism four included 120 mm ultra silent fans

Before we get to moddin this case, let's take a brief tour. If you hate flimsy cases, you'll like the Adamas, it's 100% aluminum mid-tower is remarkably sturdy. NZXT incorporated a lot of extruded aluminum into it's design. The bottom and top panels are extruded aluminum that look very stylish. The structure of the case except for the bezel and side panels is entirely welded together.

NZXT includes 4x 120mm NZXT factory fans pre-installed in the Adamas.

1x front intake.
1x rear exhaust.
2x access panel.

The exterior finish is Matte Black powdercoat.

Extruded aluminum top panel is stylish. It's welded onto the chassis.

Front Ports 2 x USB2.0, 2 x Audio, 1 x IEEE1394. Ac'97 and Intel HD audio support for 5.1 and 7.1 audio

NZXT At the top we have four 5.25" drive bays, with the top bay being used as a stealth drive cover for your optical drive

The chassis frame consists of "L" shaped aluminum that is welded and powder coated Black. I will be removing the HD cage to accommodate larger video cards
The Adamas has been on the market since Oct 2006, back when video cards were much shorter.

Both side panels have unique spring loaded release latches. These work really nicely for quick access.

The case feet are threaded into the chassis and incorporate Black rubber on the bottom.

The quick-release bezel is slick. The intake grill is made from extruded aluminum. It can be removed as well.

After "quickly" removing the bezel, you can access the front filter.

To help dampen vibration, NZXT inserted rubber strips into the 5.25 optical drive bay slots.

I like seeing the switches and led lights fastened into the bezel and not glued!

The floor of the extruded aluminum optical bay slides out after removing 2, screws.

The first step in creating my FUZION theme PC is giving the Adamas a new exterior. Both side panels will show MSI's logo graphic of the exploded fragments. This design will be made 3D, by milling it into new panels that will start from 1/4" thick aluminum.

The right side edges of the exploded fragment will be slotted openings, so they can be illuminated from behind. This will create a shadow-like effect onto the design.

a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2010 12:14:50 AM

Not a bad case. However, it seems that it's only 7.48" deep, which could be a problem with massive tower style coolers.

Anyways, keep up the work.
m
l
Related resources
April 5, 2010 6:22:36 PM

agreed, it's going to be a challenge from stand point for cpu coolers. I pre-fitted the side panels today.

m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2010 7:25:32 PM

very nice millwork!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 5, 2010 7:55:55 PM

Damn MM, you never cease to amaze.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 6, 2010 1:45:42 PM

Omg
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
a c 156 V Motherboard
April 6, 2010 6:42:32 PM

Yep. The case looks a little narrow, but you cannot fault the millwork.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 6, 2010 8:22:08 PM

It should fit a Kingwin XT-1264 is about 6" tall which is a good cooler that isn't quite as tall as some. It is almost as good as a Xigmatek HDT-s1284, which is a perfectly good cooler.

It is anything under 7" in width that bothers me.
m
l
April 6, 2010 9:35:59 PM

Nice work!
I would love to have that case panel. :) 
m
l
April 7, 2010 5:02:32 PM

WOW!!!!!!
THAT CASE IS SICK!!!
Nice Job Man, What do You Do for a living?
m
l
April 8, 2010 2:36:37 AM

Nice looking case. Thanks for sharing.
m
l
April 11, 2010 7:49:51 PM

excellent choice... aluminum , but lets think what happen if this beautiful case made by copper?!!!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 11, 2010 8:02:46 PM

poorya_user said:
excellent choice... aluminum , but lets think what happen if this beautiful case made by copper?!!!

It would weigh a lot and likely be very unstable without a lot of reinforcement.
m
l
April 11, 2010 8:57:35 PM

simply you are right about the weigh but about the stability ... actually I am in the middle of a project.inventing 100% copper case.I think it is the first one.I know that the copper is so soft.I just have stability in this case with 1mm leaf.I have to mention that it cost me more than 200$ till now(70% progress)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 11, 2010 11:54:14 PM

^ Pics/link to build log?
m
l
April 12, 2010 5:52:44 AM

with in next 24 hours I will upload the pics and link.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 12, 2010 10:38:39 AM

poorya_user said:
simply you are right about the weigh but about the stability ... actually I am in the middle of a project.inventing 100% copper case.I think it is the first one.I know that the copper is so soft.I just have stability in this case with 1mm leaf.I have to mention that it cost me more than 200$ till now(70% progress)

stability is a concern, cases tend to be abused a bit as per their job, otherwise no one would bother with a closed case.
m
l
April 12, 2010 4:01:53 PM

Copper, Sounds like fun. Still Cant believe this case. It is insane. i Would Pay good money towards a case that looked That kick arse

Sweet Modding MonsterMawd :D 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2010 3:15:58 PM

ce again monstermawd outdid himelf.
Abiutthecopper case: Why not nake the outside copper andthe inside a sturdier metal?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2010 12:49:44 AM

^ Damn.... you need to polish it :p 

Anyways, that is a $HIT LOAD OF COPPER!
m
l
April 14, 2010 3:30:28 AM

And copper is a fantastic conductor of Electricity AND heat.

So that could present a problem?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2010 4:21:36 AM

Well, the NZXT Adamas only has seven expansion slots, which is kind of a pity, because that means it can't use a dual-slot graphics card in the last slot... unless you can somehow mod that.

Side panel looks stunning though.
m
l
April 14, 2010 10:31:41 AM

Trueno07 said:
And copper is a fantastic conductor of Electricity AND heat.

So that could present a problem?

The MB would be plug by plastic outrigger.I can use insulator shields but it would reduce the performence.what would you guys suggest?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 14, 2010 3:01:03 PM

if u use standoffs then it shouldnt be a problem...
m
l
April 21, 2010 11:52:14 AM

Thank you for the comments everybody. The side panels will be painted, expect for some portions of the billet aluminum that will be left exposed. I just got word from MSI that the hardware has been shipped. No specifics on that, other than the Fusion MB.
m
l
April 26, 2010 10:09:07 PM

Ok, here is the new "FUZION" logo design for the Adamas bezel.

m
l
April 27, 2010 9:47:16 AM

Very Nice man... You should Approach A major Manufacturer, You have talent
I would Pay well Over US$200 For A chassis Like That:D 
m
l
May 4, 2010 5:45:01 PM

I speak with several case manufacturers on regular basis, esp NZXT, and discuss future product ideas. I'm working on my own ITX case design atm.

Hardware arrived from MSI.

Intel Core i5 750 / 2.66 GHz processor
MSI BIG-BANG FUZION Motherboard
MSI N260GTX, Twin Frozr, NVIDIA GPU
MSI R5770 HAWK, ATI Radeon GPU
OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
PSU (tba)

Intel Core i5 750 / 2.66 GHz processor

OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

MSI BIG-BANG FUZION Motherboard

MSI N260GTX, Twin Frozr, NVIDIA GPU

MSI R5770 HAWK, ATI Radeon GPU

I'm going to be replacing the pop-rivets along the way and discovered Most Computer Chassis will accept 1/8” diameter Pop rivets, Gripe range .092" - .125" for Computers.

http://www.mnpctech.com/Pop_rivets_for_computer_case.ht...

These Copper rivets are pretty cool, but won't really fit my color theme.

m
l
May 5, 2010 4:31:12 PM

It's purty, but don't get too attached to the "bare billet" pron. I'm still debating about plans for the final finish.

m
l
May 11, 2010 1:58:50 PM

I'm diggin it so far, that side panel looks sharp as hell! It seems like with as much girth as that side access panel has you could do some sort of accent color along the inside trim to emphasize the type/holes/explosion when viewed at an angle, maybe?
m
l
May 11, 2010 3:38:49 PM

Yes, that would be fun... still debating about the design until I can see some color spray outs first.. was thinking a couple different shades of HoK Kandy Blues
m
l
May 15, 2010 9:49:19 PM

Ok, just a small update... the Corsair H50 "Hydro" cpu cooler showed up. It includes brackets for these sockets, LGA775, LGA1366, LGA1156, AM2/AM3. For the Adamas cramped space, this self contained water cooler should be a great solution.

It includes brackets for these sockets, LGA775, LGA1366, LGA1156, AM2/AM3.
m
l
May 15, 2010 11:07:42 PM

Amazing work but I was wondering: will it have USB 3.0 and Sata 3.0?
m
l
May 16, 2010 7:40:02 AM

^ Sata 3 Hard drives (or SSD's) Are unavailable or Unreliable at this point.

any memory stick that uses USB3.0 will need to have 2 (Already hot) controller chips.
this will mean it will all have to be encased in an ugly steel container and that you will run the risk of burning yourself when removing it.

But yes MonsterMawd That Setup is looking very Nice!
m
l
May 16, 2010 11:30:38 AM

fisshy said:
^ Sata 3 Hard drives (or SSD's) Are unavailable or Unreliable at this point.

any memory stick that uses USB3.0 will need to have 2 (Already hot) controller chips.
this will mean it will all have to be encased in an ugly steel container and that you will run the risk of burning yourself when removing it.

But yes MonsterMawd That Setup is looking very Nice!

But what about Asus being able to put a USB3 chip on there AMD motherboards and cool them with only air?
m
l
May 16, 2010 4:10:51 PM

^ On the removable storage drives themselves, not the MOBO my good man!
m
l
May 16, 2010 5:17:32 PM

Oh! Well then i guess we have to wait a bit for it to be good thanks for the information.
m
l
May 17, 2010 3:50:18 PM

Sorry, been very busy...but here is a small update about the paint

Color spray out samples. Silver Aluminum, House of Kolor's Kandy paints, the colors are Teal, Colbalt Blue and Oriental Blue ... Brad ran out of the SHIMRIN basecoat for Kandy paint, so we used basic Silver just for making samples. The actual paint job will have SHIMRIN base coat, so the final finish be much more vibrant.. Not sure if I will use Teal yet...

The fragments in the fractal design will be painted Colbalt Blue and Oriental Blue Kandy.
m
l
May 17, 2010 4:02:56 PM

^ Its going to look tasty! im actually excited to see this beast!
m
l
May 24, 2010 11:50:06 AM

me too, hopefully I can start the paint portion this week. I've been swamped with other commitments atm.
m
l
May 26, 2010 1:51:28 PM

Yesterday I made time to start prepping the background of the side panel design for paint. I cut sheets of Red Scotch-Brite pads by 3M various size pieces for getting into the small crevices.These pads work great for de-burring and polishing metal surfaces. You can use them on metals, woods, plastics, composites. I use them for prepping factory paint finishes for primer coats as well. For the bare aluminum, apply a self-etching primer base coat before the color coat. This allows for maximum adhesion to the bare metal surface. The color coat will be Silver Aluminum. This will be applied to the background of the panel to cover up the fine swirl marks.

Scotch-Brite General Purpose 3M Scotch-brite Pads

m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
May 26, 2010 2:02:34 PM

I can not wait to see this finished you do some really good work bro I hope you get well compensated for all the time you put into this case.
m
l
May 26, 2010 4:16:09 PM

:na:  It's going to be so beautiful! :na: 

keep on keeping on! :hello:  :sol: 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 26, 2010 5:46:57 PM

This is looking great so far. Can't wait to see some more progress.
m
l
May 27, 2010 5:04:12 PM

Thank you for tuning in and commenting everybody! Yesterday I sat down with my favorite roll of tape and Xcato knife and masked off raised portions of both side panels. I'm asked a lot about which masking tape I use for Mnpctech projects. I prefer to use 3M Scotch Green 233+ masking tape. It's highly conformable to curved surfaces on both metal and plastic. It has good adhesion in a large range of weather conditions. It will peel off without leaving any sticky residue. Most Auto Body Supply Stores should stock this tape. Otherwise it's readily available online. It has a premium price, but performs the best for most case modding applications. It may be hard to justify the cost of a premium tape, but I see it as an investment in protecting my work. I would rather spend $10.95 - $15.95 for a roll of 2" - 3" wide tape than replace or redo something that I scratched by accident.

latches were masked off after this photo was taken...

I'll be applying primer base coat this afternoon... will post another update soon!
m
l
May 28, 2010 12:02:14 PM

Here is one panel with SEM brand Black Self-Etching Primer coat I applied before handing panels off to Brad.

Silver Aluminum Color coat applied by Brad with HVLP spray gun.

m
l
May 28, 2010 2:16:25 PM

jesus christ that is sexy
m
l
!