Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GA-X58A-UD3R REV 2.0 Blue screen of death

Last response: in Motherboards
August 21, 2010 7:20:29 PM

Hello guys, I've just bought the GA-X58A-UD3R REV 2.0, Core i7 930 and 6gb OCZ 1600mhz. I have installed all the components and the Windows 7 64bit very smooth.
BUT, the problem is... I got many Blue screen since I have mounted the PC.. I have already updated the bios to FB16, F5, FB11 and the FB11 is the one which gives me more time between the Blue screens.. What may I do ?? I'm thinking of RMA'ing that.

*I'm not overclocking the cpu, the memory is running at 1066 (I can't run it at 1600mhz or even at 1333mhz). It's another problem.

PC SPECS:
CORSAIR 550W
9600GT
2x 250gb Barracuda

Thanks anyway.

Best solution

August 21, 2010 10:34:09 PM

Well, it's hard to say with all that can go wrong (yep, BSODs are bitches), but I suggest that you jot down what the Blue Screen Of Death says. That might be hard due to the brief window of opportunity, but there is an option to make the blue screen stay instead of automatic restart.

Just click Start and right click Computer, left click Properties. On the left side you'll se an option of "Advanced System Properties", from there you navigate to the "Advanced" tab and click the Startup and Recovery Settings... From here you can uncheck "Automatically restart".

Anyway, if you want to save yourself the bother you could just post your .dmp-file. To find them.. er.. just search your Windows root for .dmp

About the other problem, depending on your MB, your memory modules wont run at 1600MHz until you've overclocked your BCLK to the point where the Baseclock multiplied with your Memory multiplier reaches 1600MHz. If you want to run your i7 930 with 1600MHz memory you could, e.g. have a 200 BCLK, CPU multiplier @ x19 (3,8GHz, not for stock fan use), Memory multiplier @ 8.0 = 200x8 = 1600. But you can play around, make it fit your needs and cooling abilities. I mean, the i7 930 can easily clock up to 4GHz with the right cooler, and by all means be quicker than the much more expensive models.

All the best!

*Edit, I just thought that if your memories are 1600MHz DDR3, then they'll most likely need 1.65V, which your motherboard wont automatically run (standard 1.5). First of all, check whay kind of Memory you have! See if they require 1.65V and then move into BIOS and bump the memory voltage to 1.64V (it will probably not exist a precise 1.65V option so just go with whatever is closest, however less). Anyway, good luck with that.
August 21, 2010 11:32:51 PM

First thx for all.
Well, I have found one archive called MEMORY.DMP. Is that right? And how can I open it?
I have the stock fan, so I can just run at 1600mhz overclocking the cpu also?

*yeah, its 1,65. I've already tried running at 1,64 and nothing.

Thx
m
l
Related resources
August 21, 2010 11:52:08 PM

I just got a Blue screen right now, and it said somethig like that:

_INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_

Technical information:

***stop:0x00000....................

***nvlddmkm.sys - Adress..............date stamp........

m
l
August 21, 2010 11:53:04 PM

Best answer selected by meherith.
m
l
August 22, 2010 8:53:05 AM

I would not overclock over 3.2GHz with the stock cooler. Well, in the matter of opening it, you'll need the Windows Debugging Tool. Find this and download. Open your Memory.dmp with the tool and it will describe what system file caused the bluescreen in hand.

Interesting that it mentioned nvlddmkm.sys, nvlddmkm.sys is actually a System driver file for nvidia cards. This would very much suggest that there is a problem with your graphics unit (9600GT). To solve this, I would uninstall the driver and install an older driver. These older drivers will work better with your generation of card and hopefully stop the BSODs.

So, to sum up, by the information given me, I would suggest either a defect graphics card or faulty drivers in compability. For the first one I would suggest to test with another graphics card or try with the inbuilt graphics (your motherboard). For the second problem, I would suggest uninstalling your Nvidia drivers and install an earlier version (e.g. 180.48 or less, anyway, this is a trying game, whatever works for you will be fine).

I hope that this will fix your problem!

*Edit, I have more theories, however, let's see how this goes ;) 
m
l
August 22, 2010 2:43:57 PM

I bet you have CIA2 turned on and you need to disable it in the BIOS. Also in the BIOS look at xmp Profile and activate profile 1.
m
l
August 22, 2010 9:15:43 PM

Hum... well, first im going to try an older version of the nvidia drivers. If that does not work im going to try the onboard VGA.
But first, I would like your opnion. Do you think that if I trade that MOBO for the ASUS P6T SE this problem will happen also?

*I plugged the Memory into the 3 blue slots, 1,3,5. I have tried switching this for the others 3 white slots and the PC even turned on. Why? Is that a mobo problem?

THX FOR EVERYTHING
m
l
August 22, 2010 10:15:22 PM

CIA2 is a overclocking system holdover from c2d, it does not work for I7's so turn it off. as for the mem set xmp profile to 1
m
l
August 22, 2010 10:39:07 PM

kg4icg said:
CIA2 is a overclocking system holdover from c2d, it does not work for I7's so turn it off. as for the mem set xmp profile to 1

Man, I didn't find CIA2. What is that?
I have found something like that:

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): Enabled
C3/C6/C7 State Support: Disabled

XMP profile doesn't work. When i get to the windows logo the pc just reboot.

THX FOR ALL
m
l
August 23, 2010 5:41:45 AM

with that board if your running tri channel memory wants it in the white slots....also I have heard of ocz memory being flakey...I'm in the middle of a build using the same board...I set the speed to 12 in the bios ( I think) which then set it to 1600. I'm using patriot extreme g sereies ram. I would be suspect of the ram before the board...
m
l
August 23, 2010 4:15:44 PM

lupinesithlord said:
with that board if your running tri channel memory wants it in the white slots....also I have heard of ocz memory being flakey...I'm in the middle of a build using the same board...I set the speed to 12 in the bios ( I think) which then set it to 1600. I'm using patriot extreme g sereies ram. I would be suspect of the ram before the board...

Man, I think you are right, I have taken off one of the memory and im using 4 gb. I have been running without any BSOD for about 1 hour. It's a miracle! Im gonna w8 for 1 whole day to be certain that the problem was the memory I took off.

THX A LOT
m
l
August 23, 2010 4:21:48 PM

njure said:
I would not overclock over 3.2GHz with the stock cooler. Well, in the matter of opening it, you'll need the Windows Debugging Tool. Find this and download. Open your Memory.dmp with the tool and it will describe what system file caused the bluescreen in hand.

Interesting that it mentioned nvlddmkm.sys, nvlddmkm.sys is actually a System driver file for nvidia cards. This would very much suggest that there is a problem with your graphics unit (9600GT). To solve this, I would uninstall the driver and install an older driver. These older drivers will work better with your generation of card and hopefully stop the BSODs.

So, to sum up, by the information given me, I would suggest either a defect graphics card or faulty drivers in compability. For the first one I would suggest to test with another graphics card or try with the inbuilt graphics (your motherboard). For the second problem, I would suggest uninstalling your Nvidia drivers and install an earlier version (e.g. 180.48 or less, anyway, this is a trying game, whatever works for you will be fine).

I hope that this will fix your problem!

*Edit, I have more theories, however, let's see how this goes ;) 

Man, i did all u said and the message just change for another one.

I have taken these messages:

- Driver_IRQL_LESS_OR_IQUAL
- NTFS.SYS
- MEMORY MANAGEMENT

But since i have taken off 1 memory the pc doesnt BSOD'ed yet. I think the problem was that.I'm w8ing to see whats gonna be.

m
l
August 24, 2010 9:57:46 AM

Well Guys, definitely the problem is bad memory module. I have used MemTest86+ in each module, one by one, and i got one Full of errors. I took off this bad module and the pc is 6hours + without BSOD. I'm already doing a RMA of this.

I just have to thanks all of you for eveything! THANK YOU.
m
l
!