Solved

Need helping connecting PSU to motherboard

Hey guys. I'm going to be building a new computer next weekend and, even though my parts aren't in yet, I'm reading the mobo manual to try and get prepared for everything. I'm a little confused with how to connect my PSU to the motherboard based on the instruction guide.

Here are the parts I'm working with:
Gigabyte P55-USB3 motherboard and Antec Earthwatts 650W power supply.

And here is an image of the page in the manual that talks about this:

I know the 24 pin connector goes into that ATX slot on the right side of the mobo but what goes in the ATX_12V_2X4 spot on the left side?

It says my power supply has 1 (20+4) pin, 1 EPS12V, and 1 ATX12V.

Any help on this would be wonderful! Thanks a lot.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need helping connecting motherboard
  1. Excellent, so let me make sure I've got this right. I'll plug the full 24 pin connector in to the ATX slot and the 1 x 8 pin EPS 12V into the left slot. Does the 2x2 ATX12V go anywhere or is that just in case my motherboard can only use a 20 pin main connector?
  2. for your PSU; its for motherboards that use an ATX12V - 4 Pin CPU Connector
  3. The Antec PSU's have a "20+4" pin connector for the main power connector. Unlike many PSU's with a "4+4" connector for CPU power, The Antec PSU's have both a "2X2" connector and a "4X2" connector. Use whichever you need for you motherboard.

Do not confuse the PCI power connectors with the CPU power connector.
    Trying to use a PCI power connector will result in shorting 12 volts to ground. A good PSU should electronically shut down before damage occurs. Otherwise, you can fry the motherboard.
  4. As long as I plug the 24 pin into the 24 pin slot and the 1 x 8 (P3) into the other slot I'll be fine right?
  5. Best answer
    RParmly said:
    As long as I plug the 24 pin into the 24 pin slot and the 1 x 8 (P3) into the other slot I'll be fine right?

well your power to your mobo will be fine, I can't give you and medical clearance :na:
  6. Best answer selected by RParmly.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Motherboards Components Product