stelios@cy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
hi
I whant to by a 5870 card and i was ready to buy one but in the specs it was writen that the open gl is2.1 as i know that cards is supporting 3.0 and is very iportant any ideas why or it was just a mispelling??

umm, i'm not sure about it too, but u should not worry about that, that card is a MONSTER and will eat every games that u throw... :)
Make sure u have a good system and enough PSU... :)

Reading that page, it's saying it WILL support OpenGL 3.2, but it currently does not. Notice the little 1 after it states openGL 3.2? Go to the bottom of the page and it states it will support it sometime in 2010.

What I said was, it currently does not have 3.2. It says it WILL have 3.2 sometime in 2010, but not currently. That means that 2.1 might be what it currently has.

Dude, if you don't know, don't post. :pfff:

You guys are also confusing HARDWARE COMPLIANCE which was DAY 1 with SOFTWARE SUPPORT !!

OpenGL 3.0 has been added since Cat 8.9 so that is the launch minimum, not 2.1.

And AMD added 3.2 in Cat 9.12 in 2009;
http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/Catalyst_912_release_notes.pdf

New Features
This section provides information on new features found in this release of the Radeon™
Display Driver. These include the following:
- ATI Catalyst™ support for DirectCompute 10.1
- OpenGL 3.2 extension support

Seriously WTF people, is it so hard for you to research when you're already on AMD.com !?! :heink:

And to the OP, seriously, maybe a little effort like some research other than cheesy resellers, c'mon !?! :sarcastic:

Google it AMD + Open GL 3.2 , here let me google that for you;

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=amd+open+gl+3.2

The link above comes up 4th and the official press launch from the Khronos group @ OpenGL.org is second;

http://www.opengl.org/news/amd-releases-driver-with-opengl-3.2-support/

For all the time it took you to post and for bystander to reply, you guys could've gotten it yourselves, and correct. [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

Yep, but just for people (usually n00bz) spreading bad info; one post to do many posts to undo, unless you catch it early.

Heck Wa1 tried to help, but the OP just wouldn't listen, and then that last post made me.. snap !! :fou:

And I think I'd prefer a rusty spoon. :evil:

I didn't even post any bad info, just posted that it wasn't 3.2 complient yet, which it IS not. Only that it MIGHT be what the others said.

I only wrote it because he read that post, and was reading it as if it actually had OpenGL 3.2 support now, which it clearly doesn't.

What part of the above did you miss, it IS, and it's clear what you posted, it's quoted in my reply. [:bohleyk:5]

I only wrote it because he read that post, and was reading it as if it actually had OpenGL 3.2 support, which it clearly didn't.

Which is clearly DOES, even according to Khronos;

"Dec 17, 2009

This release of ATI Catalyst™ provides support for OpenGL 3.2 extension support on the ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 Series, ATI Radeon™ HD 5700 Series,..."

Seriously I can't spell it out any clearer than that. [:thegreatgrapeape:2]

WHERE'S MY SPOON !?! :fou:

And before you flip out. Notice the 1 at the end of openGL 3.2 and go to the bottom to see what that 1 meant.

I'm sorry, I was not aware AMD had incorrect stuff on their page and assume their page would be correct.

You do realize that they post that once the hardware launches, and then they simply leave it. And also that it said 2010, which it already is, and that the update has already come, it's not like you were posting in 2009, so that's not an excuse for making the false statement. :non:

And your comment on 2.1 was nowhere near correct, and you can't blame it on the '1' caveat in the description, except you didn't even bother to check before saying it, which was incorrect from launch, Period! Trying to blame AMD for that too? :sarcastic:

The OP asked about 3.0 not 3.2, and you simply supported the dumb vendors mistakes as if they were correct making things worse, instead of JUST BEING A BYSTANDER !! [:mousemonkey:2]

I only said it might be correct, which means you have to go and check yourself and like I said. He was ignoring the 1 after the openGL 3.2 support. The one said it would be released in 2010, which it a long time, it didn't say it would be released by 2010.

Anyways, you can see why I would have cautioned him to blindly assume the card was openGL 3.2 compliant now, can't you?

No, I don't see that, what I see is what I quoted, which did nothing other than to incorrectly say no it's not 3.2 yet, and also as you just repeated "it would be released in 2010" when in fact it says "1. Driver support scheduled for release in 2010 " so they were ahead of schedule, it may have been scheduled for 2010 and you still think this is 'incorrect' where it's really just your error, and also you said it might only be 2.1, which is never what it 'only was'.

Even the post before that you said "it's saying it WILL support OpenGL 3.2, but it currently does not." the last half of which it does not say at all anywhere on that page.

Seriously, a little better research in just the reading of that page would've avoided both of those errors on your part.

Scheduled for 2010 and they beat it by two weeks, but that's their mistake. :sarcastic:

So you see how someone might take issue with you posting that and further confusing the OP and anyone else who reads it, and why someone might take issue? :heink:

I was wrong in my assumption, but seriously, the people on the page was reading only what I was reading and assumed it said it had OpenGL 3.2. With what was read, they came to a conclusion not supported by the given evidence, so I stepped in to make sure they read all that was there on that given page.

Sorry again, for not researching further, and I had no intentions of jumping in. But when you see someone read something, and come to a conclussion not supported by the evidence given, I felt obligated to let them know where they could be wrong.

stelios@cy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hey guys sr im interapting no nead to fight i just dont have the time right know for research and i thought someone may be know for shoure to tell me thank you bouth for responding i only wanted to know if in hardware part is compatible either the software is launch or not:)