Sign in with
Your question

General SSD Noob questions

Last response: in Storage
January 19, 2012 10:18:42 AM

Hi,
I just purchased a Corsair Force3 120GB SSD and have some admittedly silly questions I havent found answers for yet.

I installed it in my Gigabyte EX58-UD3R board, which only has SATA2.

Ran several benchmarks, the initial numbers in "Bench Me" were about 150MB/s, which didnt seem great, my RAID0 drives benched higher.

I verified TRIM and AHCI were enabled from the command line and regedit.

Later in CrystalDiskMark it was showing 120MB/s. (I can post more detailed results later, in work at the moment).

So, have I screwed up my drive by running 3 or 4 benchmarks? Degraded performance? Or does TRIM eliminate the concern of slowing performance?

My real world performance is good, Windows boots before my TV even displays a picture! Pretty good, but I'm concerned that its underperforming or I've damaged it.... :ouch: 
January 19, 2012 1:47:33 PM

Thanks for your reply!

I will run that benchmark tonight and I will also have to figure out what firmware is on it.

We will see how it goes, thanks again!
Related resources
January 19, 2012 6:05:15 PM

Heres my bench with Atto v.2.46

Looks like it reaching a plateau and stopping there...

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
January 19, 2012 7:16:29 PM

Okay, in the hope that this might help someone else I'm posting these results.

My first test had been using the Gigabyte SATA2 controller. So I powered off and plugged the Corsair Force3 into the Intel ICH10R controller, I also had my two WD 500GB HDD in Raid 0 plugged in there too. I had the BIOS set for RAID which I read somewhere also allows ACHI commands to reach non-raid devices.

So on reboot I had my Raid 0 and Corsair 3 and saw a huge improvement in performance:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In future I'll check out updated drivers see if that can go up any further, if anyone can answer how often I need to wipe an SSD to keep it running well, or will TRIM take care of that on modern SSDs?

a b G Storage
January 19, 2012 7:26:21 PM

Yeah, that looks pretty spot on for Sata2 with an SSD. My Force 3 drive didn't last long enough to actually determine if it degraded over time, and how badly. I would just use it, and by the time it gets slower Win8 will be out and you will be re-installing most likely anyway.
!