Overclocking a Core 2 Duo E6700 with DQ965CO Mobo

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I have a DQ9650CO Intel Motherboard. I got a Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 GHz E6700 (LGA 775 Socket) for it which is the fastest possible supported processor ( http://processormatch.intel.com/COMPDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dq965co ).

The problem I have is this thing is pretty much decked out, 8GB of ram, a 9800 GT, and the fastest processor possible for it. Another problem is it's a BTX board, meaning I can't just by a new mobo and processor and be set to go right from my case. I would have to get a new case and everything if I want to upgrade, so I thought that maybe I could try overclocking the processor and pushing it up there a bit so I can use it for more modern gaming for a couple more years. Currently this is all in an MPC ClientPro 385 case.

The processor seems to idle between 24c and 31c after running Windows 7 for over 12 hours without a shut down (According to CPUID Hardware Monitor).

Do not reply telling me to just upgrade to a newer setup altogether, the whole reason I made this thread is so I WOULDN'T have to do that for a little bit longer. I want to bump up the processing power a bit for some more gaming. I can max nearly all games and play very reasonably at 30+ fps, but some of the newer games coming out are starting to make me turn some things down, or giving me mouse input lag.

Is there any way I can overclock this processor on this motherboard? There is no indication of anything relating to overclocking on the motherboard bios, and all processor specs on the bios including FSB are black and solid (They don't even look like they were grayed out, they just look static and untouchable at all). I really have no idea if it's possible to pull off today with software running under a windows operating system.

If it is possible, how do I do it?