Heat Problem on Core I7 system

frozenfire

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I just finished building my new desktop. I have a stock heat sink on my CPU, however I went out and bought arctic silver 5 thermal compound for my build. When I put my CPU under load with stock heat sink and no overclock my CPU hits over 80 C within the first 5 minuets of stress testing using Prime 95 64-bit. From what I have read this temperature is way too high for this cpu under load with no overclock.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening or what I can do to fix this, besides just buying an better heat sink. Because it shouldn't be running this hot on stock heat sink.

I have a friend that has an almost identical build. The only difference is that they have a 850 Watt power supply, and the slightly slower (1333 MHz) corsair RAM but same amount and type as mine. His temps are a lot lower then mine.

MY Specs:
Core i7 920 2.67GHz
Stock heatsink CPU
EVGA GeForce 285 1 GB
ASUS P6T SE
6GB Corsair XMS3 RAM (Triple Channel 2GBx3)
BFG 650 Watt power supply
750 GB SATA 3GB/s HDD

TEMPERATURES:
IDLE - 44 C
LOAD: 80 C (within 5 mins)

frozenfire

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
The fans are spinning up just fine.

I am not sure if they are spinning up to what they should but I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't be working from what I can see.

Push pin coolers can be tricky to install.
A bad installation can lead to higher temperatures, and even cpu throttling.
With the pc powered down, gently rock the cooler to see if it is on solid, or if it wobbles a bit.
Push pin coolers are best installed while the motherboard is outside of the case.
You need to be able to look at the back of the board to verify that
all 4 pins are completely through and locked.
Play with the pins on the cooler first, so you can see exactly how they work.
Read the instructions that came with your retail cpu.
When pushing down on the pins, do a diagonal pair first.
If you don't, it is hard to get the last pin in.
Don't forget to clean the parts and reapply fresh thermal compound every time.
Don't try to reuse the TIM.
Rubbing alcohol is OK as a cleaner.
I use a paper coffee filter to clean with because it is lint free.
Any name brand TIM should be OK(as-5, Mx-2, etc.)
When applying the TIM, don't use too much, because it can act as an insulator.
Don't apply too little, either, because it won't spread and fill the microscopic
imperfections in the surfaces. A dollop about the size of a grain
of rice should be about right.

El Chupacabura

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I have the same CPU you have and I am using the stock cooler with no overclock, when I first built my PC I had the same issues. My Core i7 920 would idle around between 42C and 47C, and under load would consistently hit 80C. Now, 4 months later my CPU idles and 32C and under load hits around 67C. I haven't changed a thing since I bought it, it just started running cooler. Do what geofelt says first if it still runs hot, just give it some time and if you need to buy a better cooler.