Gateway question

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 31, 2004 6:58:37 PM

Does anyone know if gateway is using the same manufacturer as emachines?
Gateways new m500 series looks very much like the emachines notebooks.
Oddly enough the both use the prefix "M" and they have similar specs i.e.
graphics cards and the exact same dimensions. If that is the case I will
opt for the emachine. It is $100 cheaper and the top of the line comes with
the AMD 64bit processor which is supposed to run rings around the pent 3
Ghz.

More about : gateway question

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 31, 2004 7:06:07 PM

"Asscrack" <jzurb@charter.net> wrote in message
| Does anyone know if gateway is using the same manufacturer as emachines?
| Gateways new m500 series looks very much like the emachines notebooks.
| Oddly enough the both use the prefix "M" and they have similar specs i.e.
| graphics cards and the exact same dimensions. If that is the case I will
| opt for the emachine. It is $100 cheaper and the top of the line comes
with
| the AMD 64bit processor which is supposed to run rings around the pent 3
| Ghz.

The only weak pont on the eMachines A64 is the hard drive speed. It is only
4200RPM but can be easily swapped. The current price on a 7200RPM 60GB drive
(largest currently available) is $180. It won't "run rings around the pent
3", but it is a better performer is almost every aspect. Encoding being one
of those exceptions. Of course that will likely allchange once MSgets off
their arses and finishes XP 64 EE since people are skeered of linux <wink>.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 1, 2004 7:14:21 PM

Asscrack wrote:
> Does anyone know if gateway is using the same manufacturer as
> emachines? Gateways new m500 series looks very much like the
> emachines notebooks. Oddly enough the both use the prefix "M" and
> they have similar specs i.e. graphics cards and the exact same
> dimensions. If that is the case I will opt for the emachine. It is
> $100 cheaper and the top of the line comes with the AMD 64bit
> processor which is supposed to run rings around the pent 3 Ghz.

Yeah, Gateway and Emachines merged earlier this year.

Yousuf Khan
!