Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cpu heatsinks safe for vertical mount

Last response: in Systems
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2010 6:23:37 PM

Hi! I'm new here and doing my first system build. I'm starting with a Cooler Master CM 690 case, an Asus M4N72-E mobo, an AMD Phenom II X2 550 cpu, 4 GB of Corsair DDR2 1066 memory, a Western Digital 1TB Sata hard drive and a Sony IDE DVD/CD Rom drive, along with Windows 7 64-bit OS.

I am considering changing the stock cpu fan/heatsink, but since my mobo will be a vertical mount, I am concerned about the stress on my mobo since most of the current performance fan/heatsinks are quite heavy. Any suggestions? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best solution

January 24, 2010 2:03:15 PM

Well, all mobos are mounted vertically in towers. Unless you lug the case to lan parties, I don't think you need to worry about the HSF weight.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2010 2:49:13 AM

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. After I posted here I read around and found somewhere that said the mounting lugs can handle something like 20 lbs of stress, so between your answer and reading around I am more comfortable hanging 1 1/2 to 2 pounds since my case will remain stationary. Thanks again p55ibexpeak!
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2010 2:49:25 AM

Best answer selected by animal.
!