My Research lead me here....Would you buy this computer?

Rae_83

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Hello to all the Good People here! I am researching desktops and found good information thru your site here. I found an HP desktop with these specs: Model #P6320Y

AMD Phenom II Quad-Core 820 processor 2.8 GHZ
8 GB Ram memory(expandable to 16 GB)
1 TB SATA Hard Drive
NVIDIA Geforce 9100 Graphics Card
Multi-format DVD+- RW/CD-RW drive
6 USB Ports
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I want to have about 6 separate paint programs up at all times. Plus 3 support programs, Font Managers, Color Wheels, etc. up and running at all times. Plus Windows Mail Live or Thunderbird Mail up all the time. Photobucket up thru the internet while working thru the day. Flicker/Internet up thru the day while working. Plus any other programs I may want to look at while running the above such as zooming around Google Earth for fun. I love Geography and Maps and Atlases, etc, Hobbie......TMI...haha!

It seems that a graphics card is not all that important when running paint programs such as Paint Shop Pro and Abobe Photoshop CS4. But that lots of memory and a good fast processor are the main items needed.

Will these specs let me do 'ALL' of the above?

This machine will run around $699.00. I will have to buy about 3 paint programs to put on this new tower. So trying to get a good machine and still afford to buy the software for it. I may even try to purchase Outlook Express, if I can. Windows 7 doesn't even have a gif picture viewer??? only still photos such as jpegs can be viewed....ugh....

I have several good capable monitors so don't really need another but they are older. Would you buy another monitor to keep the computer equipment the same age? Desktop real estate is hard to come by....BUT......I could make room on my desktop furniture to place a second monitor. Will these specs let me run a second monitor successfully?

Is it good to have the DVD and CD player as the same unit? I would prefer two separate players. It seems if you lose one, you lose both.

I would like to eventuality put a TV to this HP computer. Is it capable? Do I need a bigger processor for TV?

I am not a gamer but.....if I wanted to take a peek at gaming, will this machine game well?

Thank you for all your great help! You guys rock!

Rae_83

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
This is NOT a home built system. It is an HP for sale at Best Buy 01-22-10.
Will enough normal everyday people see this thread here? I want feedback
from both your site gurus and everyday folk's experience with this particular
processor. Shall I repost it so more eyeballs see it?

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008

Well the only thing I see with this computer that is very weak is the video card. But keep in mind that the power supply in this computer will more than likely need to be upgraded along with a video card upgrade.

Ya the computer will probably handle this.

Yes the computer will perform the tasks... but in my opinion, the video card is SO weak that it will actually degrade the overall experience of this computer.

What? Windows 7 can view .gif's fine. Also Outlook Express WAS free, but now no longer supported. "Windows Mail" is it's replacement, also free.

Ok, as long as the monitor works there's no need to replace it. So don't buy another monitor just because. And if the video card has 2 "output" connectors then yes it will support dual monitors.

All DVD/CD players are "combo" units now. And if the one in this computer dies or you just "have" to have a second one, they are about $30 for another, no biggie.

This will have more to do with what type of "output" connectors the video card has, and whether or not the TV has the same type or if a cable adapter is available.

Not a chance this computer will game well, the video card is just aweful for gaming, and most likely to upgrade video card you'll need to upgrade power supply as well.

Rae_83

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Thank you Boonality. I will probably never game on this computer, as I don't have the time. And will probably never hang a TV on it either. I have TV in this room. Good enough. If I want computer generated TV later, I will buy a proper HDMI computer for my big TV in the family room and share files back and forth from here/there. That is in Buck Roger's far future though as I know everything has got to coordinate. Just not that far as yet. I am coming from an XP 512 Ram, 120 HD(plum stuffed full) so anything should be better. Thanks for your good information on this!

Rae_83

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Would not let me edit last post?? With all the specs above in place, what video card would you try to add to this computer?

I could change everything to run Intel(make The Prophecy's Icon happy, he!) but
Best Buy said they sell no HP's with Intel. huh?? Don't know???

Have looked at most store fronts, Office Max, Office Depot, Best Buy and everyone's online stores too.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Well your specs above actually don't list your expansion slots... I'm going to assume that because your computer has a Phenom II quad that it's an AM3 motherboard and so the video card slot type for you will be PCI express X16. This is different than a standard PCI Express slot.

And I want to hammer down again that most likely you will need a new power supply if you choose to upgrade your video card.

You should have no trouble finding a computer with an intel processor. Not sure what's going on there. if you do change your mind or have something to look over just post the specs here and then we can compare the computers against each other.