Sign in with
Your question

Aftermarket cooling fans that will not block CF for 5870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2010 1:45:41 PM

The subject pretty much says it all. Ive seen the A/C one but it doesnt say SLI/XFIRE compatible. You guys know anything?
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 17, 2010 1:55:57 PM

what would u play for?
a single 5870 will still strong enough... :) 
also why do u want to change the cooler, u will voiding the warranty, right?
m
l
January 17, 2010 2:10:04 PM

wa1 said:
what would u play for?
a single 5870 will still strong enough... :) 
also why do u want to change the cooler, u will voiding the warranty, right?

I actually never thought about the warranty. Would i be voiding it? I think sometimes as long as u have the sticker not removed from the graphics hard which is usually on the casing or in the circuit board inside you should be fine. or can they tell regardless u've been opening it and mess around in there? lol
m
l
Related resources
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 17, 2010 2:13:08 PM

umm, i don't know the detail either...
but still, a single 5870 is still a monster.
m
l
January 18, 2010 12:47:29 AM

is good as it came but its more than that if theres a better cooling but its still new so i was trying to get cooling for it but i cant use Xfire since it will get all the spot im using tri fire 5870 in mid range case LQ 1000
still not beat tri sli 285 2gb in vantage
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 12:56:36 AM

XFX and EVGA allow you to install an aftermarket cooler without voiding warranty.

i believe most aftermarket coolers leave at least one crossfire nipple exposed, which is all you need, the biggest issue is with clearence. they normally take up more than the usual 2 slots, so you need a MOBO with more space than that.

alot of people seem to think you need two crossfire bridges for 2 cards, which is completely false (in fact, using two can have a negative impact on performance, see crysis artifacting issues). the reason each card has two connectors is for connecting MORE than two cards.

so yeah, most VGA coolers will alow for a crossfire bridge to be connected, but its space thats the big issue.

the scythe musashi is a good choice though. its what ill be getting most likely. doesnt take up too much room, and allows for CF. only problem is VRMs, so im waiting on more info or solutions before i get one.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 12:06:47 PM

jassim said:
is good as it came but its more than that if theres a better cooling but its still new so i was trying to get cooling for it but i cant use Xfire since it will get all the spot im using tri fire 5870 in mid range case LQ 1000
still not beat tri sli 285 2gb in vantage

Due to Vantage using the CPU test 2 - the physics test - you will probably not be ablee to match the Nvidia cards in that benchmark - that test is heavily biased toward the NVIDIA cards since they now have the Ageia physx incorporated in the GPU over ATI based systems - so the CPU scores will always favor an NVIDIA based chip over ATI - unless you were to add an Nvidia based 8xxx or newer card in the system to run as a dedicated physics card. - Another reason why Benchmark tests do not relate to real world performance !!
m
l
September 28, 2010 9:21:09 PM

If you are still looking for aftermarket cooling for the 5870 you could always look at the thermaltake aquabay m5 (about $65)and a pair of koolance waterblocks made for it (about $80 a piece) it also depending on your card would make it only take a single slot.
m
l
!