Solved

Can I install more of the exact same memory?

Hi,

I bought the system below a few days ago. I am quite happy with it but do regret my choice of memory. I would like to know if I can just buy another 2x2GB kit of the exact same memory and plug it into my motherboard if I want to upgrade it in the future/soon? Please see specs below. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 + AMD 1055T
Corsair PC3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2x2GB
SAPPHIRE HD5770 Vapor-X
3.5" Int WD Caviar Black 500GB /32MB Cache
2.5" Ext HDD Samsung S2 500GB
Cooler Master GX650W 80+
Cooler Master 690 with side window Casing
LG 22x SATA GH22 DVD-RW OEM
Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit OEM
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about install exact memory
  1. yes and no - the exact same memory, especially from a retailer ( even more so from an online retailer and purchased at different times ) may result in different "version numbers"
    of course they could work and some people will say they most likely will work, but theirs some possibility it wont - this possibility increases with more sticks you cram in there

if i were in your shoes i'd do a brick n mortar purchase for the ability to replace quickly/ upgrade if not satisfied on the fly

good luck
  2. ok thanks.
  3. Best answer
    If you have 2 available slots, and you put 2 more sticks of the same memory in them, yes you will be fine. Of course there many reasons why it MAY not work, a weak PSU, or a broken memory slot, or you simply get hold of a bad stick of memory.
    But all in all, and everything working as it should, yes, just plug them in and go, no big deal.
  4. Best answer selected by hanqin81.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory