Failed repair on Computer

skarrlette

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hi I am not sure if in right section or not but basically I have DELL Precison T 7500 computer. It was purchased in Sept 09 so its fairly new. The memory began to fail the other day. Getting the beeps and Dimm error messages so I called dell. They sent me two new sticks of memory, I replaced and it was still beeping so then I called again, this time I need a new mother board!!.

Then they sent tech not offense to him but he didn't seem to know how to fix computers, he installed the new board turned it on memory failure again in Dimm 3 he took stick out then turned computer back on and got another Dimm error, he said that is because he took the stick out. But then after he left I started moving sticks around and kept getting errors.

Then the keyboard stopped working, so he ordered me another then left.

Well I got a keyboard from the other room that I know works and that didn't work either so now I know its not the keyboard but that he didn't put the computer back together right!!

So now my question is first with XP running on this computer how much memory should I have and in what slots to make it run right? Because I have been hearing that on XP you cant have to much memory it won't recognize it.

Secondly is there a diagram I can get of a properly configured computer (maybe even mine) on the inside where hardware should be and what it should look like? Does anyone know what he may have did wrong with installation to make the keyboard not light up?

I know its lots of questions but I appreciate!

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Firstly, a list of your full system specs will help to determine compatible and maximum memory.

32-bit Windows will only recognise about[/i[ 3GB of RAM no matter how much you have installed due to address-space limitations on the 32-bit platform. If you plan to install more than this you'll need to upgrade to 64-bit Windows in order to utilise all your memory.

There are plenty of tutorials on how to put together a computer on the net. Google and/or Youtube are your friends here. If it were me though I would be straight on the phone to Dell to sort the problem out themselves since obviously the first technician did something wrong. It's not your job to correct his mistakes on a system you paid for where technical support was probably included in the price as well.

And to be honest I'm in shock that Dell's response to your memory failing is to send you two new sticks. That is not a tech support solution. What if you were some old dear who wouldn't have a clue what to do with them? Appalling is the only word that springs to mind...but that's another issue!

Hope this helps and good luck mate :)

As somebody who repaired Dells, don't touch it, inform Dell that you wish it to be repaired again, if fails inform them that you have given them enough chances to fix the equipment and reject the hardware as unfit for the intended purpose which is your right under UK law and demand a new one. If they refuse, log a formal complaint with local trading standards.

It sounds to me that you have a failing power supply; replacement of the power supply would have been the first thing I would have tried. Don’t forget that Dell power supplies are non standard and that you cannot use a normal power supply to replace them.