Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can a celeron processor upgrade to an i5

Last response: in CPUs
March 29, 2010 9:49:34 PM

hello,
i have an Dell Inspiron 530 and i accidentally bought it with a celeron processor i wanted to ask if i can upgrade it to a intel core i3 or one of those if not what is the highest processor i can upgrade it to and wats the process i ahve to take to install it thanks a bunch if u answered

to answer the comments so far yeah i just bought the dell about 3 months ago and i forgot to pick the better processor cuz i have done it so many times cuz none of the other times the order went thru so i was just frustrated and wanted to get it over with i reap wat i sow i guess and yeah it is a single core i decided eehh wat the heck ill give it a try might not be as bad as ive heard but yeah its terrible i watch movies play video games and i also do alot of photo editing and video other than the cpu the computer is good in my opinion
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 9:52:38 PM

The Celeron and the i3/i5 chips use a completely different CPU socket. You'll have to check with Dell to see what the best CPU available for your motherboard is. It's going to be an old, expensive, LGA 775 chip.
m
l

Best solution

March 29, 2010 10:05:40 PM

No you can't, the Celeron family is part of LGA775 socket and the i5 is part of 1156 socket meaning that you can't upgrade unless it's part of your socket. I'm assuming this is a desktop, the best processor you could grab is one of the high-end Core 2 Quad's which cost around $200 or even a Core 2 Duo E7xxx. Check your mobo first and see what processors it supports.

What do you need it for however? The Celeron should be a E3xxx series which are quite decent for tasks like internet browsing, office work and even some gaming. If your looking for do a heaps of gaming and multimedia work then perhaps an upgrade is needed however don't be fooled by the Celeron name, some of these new Celeron's are pretty good. However if it's not part of the E3xxx or E1xxx series and single-core then you definitely need a upgrade as the single core Celeron's are terrible and have little use.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 10:19:20 PM

celeron = budget build

you probably have a crappy hdd, poor ammount of ram and no pcie upgradable video slot etc - waste of time even if you *could* do it when everything else is just crap

i say new rig if you want performance - theres nothing you can use out of your old dell
m
l
March 29, 2010 10:50:38 PM

tony597 said:
hello,
i have an Dell Inspiron 530 and i accidentally bought it with a celeron processor i wanted to ask if i can upgrade it to a intel core i3 or one of those if not what is the highest processor i can upgrade it to and wats the process i ahve to take to install it thanks a bunch if u answered

i just bought the dell about 3 months ago and i forgot to pick the better processor cuz i have done it so many times cuz none of the other times the order went thru so i was just frustrated and wanted to get it over with i reap wat i sow i guess and yeah it is a single core i decided eehh wat the heck ill give it a try might not be as bad as ive heard but yeah its terrible i watch movies play video games and i also do alot of photo editing and video other than the cpu the computer is good in my opinion
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 10:52:57 PM

I bet that's a mistake you won't make again. A single core Celeron on a 3-month-old system- OUCH!
m
l
March 29, 2010 10:55:30 PM

yeah im really feelin it now lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 10:56:42 PM

tony597 said:
hello,

to answer the comments so far yeah i just bought the dell about 3 months ago and i forgot to pick the better processor cuz i have done it so many times cuz none of the other times the order went thru so i was just frustrated and wanted to get it over with i reap wat i sow i guess and yeah it is a single core i decided eehh wat the heck ill give it a try might not be as bad as ive heard but yeah its terrible i watch movies play video games and i also do alot of photo editing and video other than the cpu the computer is good in my opinion

You're not the first person to be scammed by intel and dell and won't be the last. However you seem to have missed the point, buying another cpu from intel and 'upgrading' with dell is just making you a perpetual victim of your own initial ignorance.

Next time use your brain and buy AMD. Even if you can't afford it right now, make sure you do the right thing *next* time.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 10:58:04 PM

There's the typical no-brained "AMD rulez" response you can expect to receive from jennyh.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 11:00:13 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
There's the typical no-brained "AMD rulez" response you can expect to receive from jennyh.

Who the hell are you 'shortstuff'.

Fact is, the op was ignorant about pc's. We were all there, thing is some of us learned. By your post I'd guess you're still just as clueless as you were first time.
m
l
March 29, 2010 11:01:01 PM

lol yeah im not a very big fan of AMD its alright in my opinion but i prefer Intel
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 11:05:26 PM

you 'prefer' intel even though you bought a crappy celeron because by your own admission you didn't even know what you were buying.

Normally I'd try a bit harder with a poster but tbh tony597, I'm quite content for you to keep on 'preferring' intel.

I could probably build you a better pc costing $150 btw, but that's something you'll never know about.
m
l
March 29, 2010 11:41:32 PM

ok ok calm down i know a bit on how to build a computer fyi i can build my own but i don't wanna go thru the process of building it and then checking again if the parts work or not going back to the computer and having a round with the people from wherever im buying my parts
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 11:56:29 PM

Sorry i got a bit annoyed by shortstuff's lame comment.
m
l
March 30, 2010 12:03:07 AM

lol ... ok i understand the comment thing but please don't rip on my life jeez...lol...but yeah if u can help me with my question it would be very much appreciated thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 30, 2010 12:08:05 AM

You're on the wrong socket, LGA 775. Dell motherboards are pretty terrible too, I've had a few in the past and they weren't great for upgradability.

My advice would be to ebay the whole thing, cut your losses that way. Dell's hold their value because of the perception that they are 'the best'. That's probably why *you* bought a dell in the first place - people go onto ebay and enter 'dell' as a search term and spend more because of it.

That's the best advice I can give, but somebody with more dell experience might give you better.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 30, 2010 12:20:23 AM

jennyh said:

Fact is, the op was ignorant about pc's. We were all there, thing is some of us learned. By your post I'd guess you're still just as clueless as you were first time.

You are still there.
m
l
March 30, 2010 12:59:57 AM

nope not really i didn't buy it cuz it was "the best" u just bought it cuz it was on sale and i was getting a dual core 4 gig ram and 500 gigbyte hardrive for 300 dollars flat plus shipping and handling crap it would have been around 350 for me and when i saw the price too i was like "whoa they took more money off wat they said online " the computer comes "darn i messed up the order " and thats how i ended up with this computer
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 30, 2010 1:05:50 AM

jennyh, the OP picking the wrong processor for his build has nothing to do with Intel or Dell trying to scam people. Believe it or not, Dell still does still sell single core CPUs in their very cheap budget section.
m
l
a c 141 à CPUs
March 30, 2010 1:36:05 AM

Well to answer the question... it depends on what mother board you have.
G33M03 motherboard will support core 2 duo cpu's up to E8500 and select quad core cpu's including the Q6600 provided the power supply is upgraded to atleast 350watt, which you may alredy have.

G33M02 supports Core 2 Duo up to E8500.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
March 30, 2010 5:08:47 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
jennyh, the OP picking the wrong processor for his build has nothing to do with Intel or Dell trying to scam people. Believe it or not, Dell still does still sell single core CPUs in their very cheap budget section.

AMD still has their single core Athlons and Semprons in those budget builds too. It's hard to believe, but people are still buying single core processors in 2010.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
March 30, 2010 5:24:33 AM

jennyh said:
You're not the first person to be scammed by intel and dell and won't be the last. However you seem to have missed the point, buying another cpu from intel and 'upgrading' with dell is just making you a perpetual victim of your own initial ignorance.

Next time use your brain and buy AMD. Even if you can't afford it right now, make sure you do the right thing *next* time.

You really need to get off the Intel bashing trip you do you make no sense Intel has quality fast reliable processors and dells fill a niche yea they are a pain sometimes but they are good reliable machines and serve a purpose for people that cant build there own. I don't really like AMD all that much but I don't go bashing them AMD serves a purpose just like dell does they provide cheap well balanced cost to performance processors.

In no way does Intel scam people they have the faster and better product out and they can charge the premium AMD would do the same if they could but they cant since they are a few steps behind Intel in the scheme of things. For people out looking to build a system for small amounts of money AMD is the way to go but if you aren't financially bound and you can afford Intel's premium price dam rite you are gonna buy it. I sense some real jealousy in you jenny you hate on Intel because you can't afford it so you have to sit there and bash on them there is no reason to call people names and make false statements about these companies. I know your gonna come up with some bogus lies, but I just call it like I see it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 30, 2010 5:07:11 PM

jennyh said:

Who the hell am I? I'm a system builder that has enough smarts to pick the best parts for my customers based on their intended use and budget regardless of what company makes the components. I've built many AMD and Intel systems over the years. This industry goes back and forth on who currently has the best components at a given price. It takes some brains to build a system that will work the best for somebody regardless of the manufacturer. Anybody can be a fanboy/girl. That doesn't take any brains at all. You call the OP ignorant when you blindly support AMD. :pfff: 
m
l
April 9, 2010 12:14:04 AM

Best answer selected by tony597.
m
l
!