Sign in with
Your question

New System Advice - approx $3k budget

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2010 8:29:19 PM

Approx Budget: $3k
Estimated Purchase Time: February 2010
Primary Use: Games, web, work, etc
I want a very solid gaming machine but also want something that's "all-purpose" and will last me awhile, who knows what I may use it for in the future
EDIT: Sorry I didn't read the "Hot to Ask for new build advice"until just now! i hope I have been thorough enough regardless.
I don't need monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse or any of that extra stuff.

I work in computers and consider myself pretty knowledgeable, however most of my work is business related: workstations, servers, routers, firewalls, etc. I rarely get a chance to work with what one might consider "enthusiast" computers. My current machine is about 4 years old, has served me well but is starting to show its age; when I built it, it was under $1k. Meanwhile I just came into a nice little windfall and decided that since I practice fiscal responsibility with every other dollar I earn, I'm going to build myself a nice extreme system with this cash and not bother to save even a penny.

(Fortunately I've got full buy in from my better half who wants to take my current computer for her own games)

With all that in mind, I've poked around, done a little bit of research here and there and come up with a build that I am pretty certain will scream, however I realize I am only dabbling, so I'd like the opinions of this community on what I would like to put together. A few notes to keep in mind before you comment:

-I have no desire to overclock or otherwise tamper with the system. I have no problem building it myself, but at the end of the day, I'd rather use it, then troubleshoot it.

-One of my concerns is that I may overpower one component and not realize I've created a major bottleneck elsewhere by neglecting another component. I have no problem paying a premium for performance, but obviously i don't want to waste my money on extra performance that's just going to go to waste because I skimped in the wrong place

-I've tried to make this build pretty powerful because i almost never get a chance to do this, and it may be many yers before I replace this system. In fact it very likely WILL be many years, so I'd rather go overkill now and be happier with it longer.

-I will be running Win7 Ultimate 64

-I'd prefer to stay Intel, but am open to other views

-I have had good experience with EVGA in the past

EDIT: I have Samsung 21" LCD with 1600x1200 native res. I will be keping this for the time being, but later intend to upgrade to a widescreen monitor that yet to be determined.

Here's what I've got:

Mobo: EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail (132-BL-E758-A1)

CPU: Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601975 - Retail
(I know it's overpriced, and if it weren't for a sudden influx of cash, i woud be looking at a 920)

Mem: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Retail
(Originally i had this at 12gb, but decided that was something i could easily add later and having now would server no benefit)

Vid: 2 x EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI ... - Retail

HD: Corsair P256 CMFSSD-256GBG2D 2.5" 256GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Retail

Power: CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Optical: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM

Thanks in advance!!
January 24, 2010 12:20:37 AM

If your going to spend $3000 on a system, I would recommend stepping your case up to an Antec 900. Also, if your looking for a future-proof computer, especially in this price range, I think it would be wise to consider ATI's new 5000-series cards, as they offer directx 11, and a few other new features.
January 24, 2010 12:37:36 AM
!