Sign in with
Your question

Dynamic Overclocking and CPU Longevity

Last response: in Overclocking
September 13, 2012 8:52:13 AM

Hi Guys,

I have recently upgraded my system with an Intel 3930k CPU and Asus P9x79 Deluxe motherboard. Since getting my new system up and running I have to say I have been very impressed by the performance of the dynamic overclock feature or "Turbo Mode".

With default settings the system underclocks itself to 1.25GHz with a vCore of 0.89 when idle. When under load the system overclocks itself to 3.8Ghz and a vCore of approx. 1.31.

My question: While dynamic overclocking is great at keeping CPU heat and power consumption low at times when you don't need it, I am just wondering what sort of impact dynamic overclocking has on a CPU's longevity? In the long run are you better off running a static overclock? (I have been able to statically OC the system to 4.4Ghz with no issues)

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Rev
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2012 11:58:52 AM

Voltage and heat = wear and tear. More of either results in more wear and tear.

Less voltage and heat result in less wear and tear.

You can overclock beyond the stock 3.8Ghz and still keep it dynamic.

I consider static overclocks to be like sitting at a stop light with the car in park and the gas pedal floored, with the engine bouncing off the rev limiter.

September 13, 2012 2:21:42 PM

Z1NONLY said:
Voltage and heat = wear and tear. More of either results in more wear and tear.

Less voltage and heat result in less wear and tear.

You can overclock beyond the stock 3.8Ghz and still keep it dynamic.

I consider static overclocks to be like sitting at a stop light with the car in park and the gas pedal floored, with the engine bouncing off the rev limiter.

Thanks for your reply Z1NONLY, that also gave me a laugh.

I have tried upping the dynamic oc to 4.4 Ghz which I thought was perfect. I'm going to keep the dynamic oc at 4.4Ghz and see how I get on.

If anyone else has any opinions on this I'd love to hear it.

Rev
!