9800GT SLI Questions

So I have a couple questions. I currently have a BFG 9800GT 512MB running at 1920x1200 and I run most of my games at or near max settings. I've been debating going SLI for a while now and on a whim looked up cards on Newegg for pricing.

The card in my system is very similar to if not exactly http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143186

The card I'm looking at is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143169 (I really like the passive cooling idea).

My questions are these:

First, will these 2 cards work if I were to put them into SLI? It's been probably 5 years since I built an SLI system (right when the technology was first released) and I distinctly remember having the understanding that the cards had to be identical. These have the same chipset and the same amount of ram, is that enough?

Secondly, I have a HDTV connected to the secondary DVI on my current card via a DVI to HDMI cable. I don't use it all the time, and typically only for watching movies, etc. The last time I built an SLI system, I recall that if you wanted to use multiple monitors, SLI mode had to be disabled, and that disabling required a reboot. Is this still the case?

I appreciate any help/thoughts that can be provided.

4 answers Last reply
More about 9800gt questions
  1. IIRC multiple monitors are now supported by Nv when SLi is enabled in so much as one of the monitors will go blank when an SLi capable app is run.
  2. Should be no problems, SLI is not quite as fussy as it once was but you might want to check the SLI/CF FAQ before proceeding, just to re-familiarise yourself with the pros and cons.
    It may be a better option to install a larger, single card with more memory than pair off two 512Mb cards, particularly at such a high resolution.
  3. I'm running a pair of 8800GT's @ 19 x 10 with good framerates so unless DX11 is a must, a second 9800GT is a viable option I reckon. So long as it's cheap that is.
  4. I've been playing the Star Trek Online Open Beta quite a bit this week, I'm running 1920x1200 like I mentioned above have all settings set as high as they'll go except Anistropic Filtering & AA, and it runs pretty well for the part. When lots of ships are on the screen at the same time (and I mean LOTS) I get a little slowdown occasionally. If I can make it run a little more fluidly all the time, I'm certainly not going to complain for $100 :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia SLI Graphics Product